There is nothing better than winding down after a long day. Getting into bed is hands down my favorite part of any day. It is a treat and a half. For years, I put off going to bed because going to bed meant it was going to be tomorrow and that made me anxious. I was fatigued, irritable and had cheap bags under my eyes. I consciously made the decision to curate a nightly ritual that has changed my life and I want to share it with you. Trial and error. Rest is required and thanking your body for working so goddamn hard is the magic potion for a grateful morning. You can’t have one without the other. Ying and Yang.
As much as I would love to take a candle lit, aromatherapy bath every night, I ain’t got no time for that. If you do, that is fantastic and you should 1000% gift yourself that luxury for as long as you possibly can. Praise.
- Cut off the alcohol and sugar at 7pm. Do you have a hard time sleeping through the night? Wake up at 3am regularly? It is likely your liver is waking you up. Your liver could be waking you up for a couple reasons. Emotionally, the liver represents anger, frustration and resentment. Physically, sugar shoots up your insulin levels, which makes your liver work harder to eliminate the excess amount of chemicals sugar produces.
- Mindful consumption. Think about when you feel the most at ease, the most calm. I could care less if that means reading, watching true crime, meditating or knitting a sweater. Do this for 5, 10 or 15 minutes before you physically get into bed.
- Cannabidoil (CBD), sleep vitamins, hot tea and essential oils. Do your research. We have unlimited access to information. Research shows that CBD is useful in easing the symptoms of a number of conditions, including; anxiety, depression, chronic pain, inflammation and sleep. Swap out that glass of wine for a CBD sleep cocktail. HOT TIP. Drink it from a wine glass for placebo effect. CBD cocktail recipe: 1 cup tart cherry juice (natural melatonin), 1 cup white grape juice, 1/2 dropper valerian root tincture (used historically to promote sleep), and your preferred dose of CBD. For a healthy sleep cycle, try Olly Sleep Vitamins. They are infused with Melatonin, L-Theanine and Blackberry Botanicals. Delicious. If you prefer tea, Traditional Medicinals Nighty Night Herbal Tea is a dream. Finally, essential oils. There are countless options on the market. Make sure you are reading your labels. Grove Collaborative is 100% organic and naturally fragrant. Order yourself some of the Calming Lavender and give yourself a gentle foot massage. Thank me later.
Sometimes, you have to redefine things. For me, that means the bedroom is for the two S’s and that is all there is to it. Sleep and sex. This keeps the bedroom a dedicated, sacred place.
- Tuck your phone in for a good nights sleep. Cute, right? Discipline is healthy. I heard about this hack and adopted it immediately. Visualize your phone as something you want to nurture and protect. Just as you’d tuck your children, your pet or your spouse or yourself into bed, do the same for your phone. Put it away for the night and let it rest.
- Invest in an alarm clock. Not only does this avoid picking up your phone after tucking it in because you forget to set your alarm, but it also alleviates the anxiety of grabbing your phone first thing in the morning to shut off your alarm. Win, win.
Finally. Let’s get to the fun stuff. We are superheroes. We deserve the best of the best. If you are going to indulge, this is the place. Join me on down the road less traveled.
- You need a silk a pillow case, you just do. Benefits? A cleaner sleep surface, less drying, friction and irritation on skin and hair. Not to mention because silk is more gentle on the skin, if you are acne prone, this can be a face-changer. Did I mention wrinkle prevention?
- Light is the silent sleep killer. LUNYA has a naturally moisturizing, silk, washable sleep mask that (get this) doubles as a headband for your nightly face regiment. Don’t let neighbor Nurse Nancy’s beaming headlights shine through your window at 2am abruptly waking you. We appreciate all that you do Nancy. I just can't helo myself.
- Your entire body deserves the benefits of silk. LUNYA also has the most comfortable sleepwear on the market. It is luxurious and you will feel like a goddess.
- Open another tab on your nifty computer and go to Amazon.com. Type in Marpac Dohm Basic White Noise Sound Machine. Click add to cart. Complete purchase. White noise creates a masking effect, blocking out those sudden changes that frustrate light sleepers, or people trying to fall asleep.
- Ever heard of Acupressure? It helps stimulate circulation and relieves stress. I feel more relaxed just typing it. You can’t go wrong with the ProSource Acupressure Mat Pillow Set. It is only $20 and comes in 7 different colors.