5 Things My Mom Taught Me About Being A Badass Babe
Have you hit that point yet where you’re kind of like, “oh shit, my mom was right about everything”? Or maybe you’ve even had a really badass stand-up for yourself moment and thought, “that’s right! I got it from my momma!” Whatever the case may be, moms teach us a lot about how to navigate this world and live life to the fullest, right? Even when they’re being overly cautious and worried about us blossoming into the badass babes we were meant to be, there are lessons to be found and held on to for life.
Have you hit that point yet where you’re kind of like, “oh shit, my mom was right about everything”? Or maybe you’ve even had a really badass stand-up for yourself moment and thought, “that’s right! I got it from my momma!” Whatever the case may be, moms teach us a lot about how to navigate this world and live life to the fullest, right? Even when they’re being overly cautious and worried about us blossoming into the badass babes we were meant to be, there are lessons to be found and held on to for life. Moms are seriously the backbone of our world and give us so much to be proud of. From our amazing intelligence and killer personality to our to die for good looks and never ceasing mental fortitude, we owe our moms a lot every day of the year, even if you’re not sure you want to admit that yet, sis. Here are the most important things my mom taught me about living life with a badass babe mentality day in and day out.
Always be yourself.
Yes, we’ve been told this forever by literally everyone in our inner circle, but have we actually listened to that advice? Probably not, but girl, today (right now!) is the time to live this way. Whoever you are, whatever makes you happiest and most fulfilled is the way you should align each of your days. Don’t shrink yourself to fit into a room that doesn’t quite match your personality. Instead, show up as you are and show off the vibrancy that makes you all that you are. It is so important for your mental and emotional health to live your life authentically, so, listen to your momma, kids!
Don’t bend when it comes to your standards.
Girl! If you learn nothing else today, let this momma lesson resonate with your soul. Seriously, don't ever, ever, (ever, ever ever!!!) lower your standards to meet someone (or something) in the middle. Your standards were set for a reason. Your standards are based on your own personal definition of happiness, fulfillment and commitment. Don’t commit yourself to something, someone or somewhere that is below your ideal standard. Think about it this way: if you had the choice, would you wear granny panties or a cute BB set under your hot girl summer dress to a yacht party? Yeah, we’d go with the BB, too. Don’t opt out of your own commitment just because it's easier or more convenient in the moment. Stick by what you believe in and don’t you dare budge, sis.
Avoid people who make your life more difficult.
This feels like a no-brainer, but we fall into this trap waaaay too often, right? Ugh. You know those people you keep around because it would be easier than giving them the boot? Today is the day to say, good-bye, see ya never. Yes, we are talking about the narcissistic “friend” and your crazy ex boyfriend here (boy, bye!). Surrounding yourself with people who make your life more difficult is a self-destructive way to drain your energy and lower your self-worth. Instead, surround yourself with people who lift you up, support you, encourage you and stand up for you always. Find you a girl gang that shouts your name to the moon in a room full of open opportunities. Soul sisters are a thing and much needed to live a fulfilling and happy life. You’ll see how much more carefree you feel when you rid yourself of difficult baggage.
Stand up for what you believe in even if you’re standing alone.
Your opinion matters. Your values are invaluable. Your thoughts are valid and should be shared. Now- read that back and remember it. Sometimes it’s f**king scary to share your opinion with others, especially when they believe the opposite of what you do. We get it and we understand how terrifying it can be, but we promise, it’s worth it. Standing up for yourself is important in all facets of your life. From your relationships to your career, standing up for yourself will put you in a position to reach your full potential happily. At the end of the day, if you’ve spoken your peace, that is what matters the most. Stay true to what you believe in and always stand ready to share what's on your mind, babe.
You can do anything you set your mind to.
No, seriously though, you can achieve every, single dream you have in your head with a lot of heart and hardwork. Whether you want to create and scale up an underwear subscription company for badass women around the world (we see you, Elly!), run a marathon, backpack through Europe, swim naked in Tahiti or become the next President of the United States, girl, you can! Your dreams are what set your soul on fire, so don’t ever lose sight of them. Believe you can and you will, we promise, babe.
Moms give the best advice, there’s no denying that. From here on out we encourage you to follow your dreams, listen to your heart, dance freely in your BB underwear and do all the little and big things that make you the happiest. Listen to my favorite mom advice and you’re on your way to mapping out a beautiful future, I can already see it, babe.
BB Guide to Spring Cleaning Your Intimate Drawers
The weather is warmer. The days are longer. And your intimate drawers are in need of some attention. Spring cleaning can be a daunting task. All you want to do is sit outside and enjoy the weather or drive around blasting music with the windows down, but your dresser isn’t...Read More
The weather is warmer. The days are longer. And your intimate drawers are in need of some attention. Spring cleaning can be a daunting task. All you want to do is sit outside and enjoy the weather or drive around blasting music with the windows down, but your dresser isn’t going to clean itself. Luckily, we’ve rounded up some tips to make spring cleaning as easy as possible so you can make room for new BootayBag styles.
Make time to get it done all at once
One of the biggest lies we tell ourselves is ‘I’ll finish this tomorrow.’ Schedule an hour or two in the day to go through all your intimates. You’ll thank yourself later when you don’t have to interrupt plans or a Netflix binge to get it done.
Throw on some background music
We know… any kind of cleaning sucks. But some good tunes can make it a little more bearable. We’re listening to our ‘Yeah Girl’ Spotify playlist. Trust us, you’re going to need a soundtrack to dance around your bedroom when you come across an old pair of undies that hold an old memory or two of when ya wore them. ;)
Throwing your underwear in a drawer and forcing it closed is sooo relatable. As much fun as it is to stick your hand in and pull out a surprise pair, we’re trying to actually organize what’s in there. Keep your matching sets together in a drawer so you never have to go searching for your Carey bralette and thong when you’re in a rush. More of a mix and match kind of girl? Stash your thongs together on one side with your cheeky styles on the other… and you’ll probably want to reserve a full drawer for your fave BB bralettes. ;)
Separate by style and wear
Girl, those old undies made a home in the back corner of your drawer for a reason. And that torn lace bralette? It has more wrinkles than wears. Start by sorting out your everyday styles, gym thongs, period undies (we all have them), and your sexy styles. Now you can determine which ones you have too many of and which ones have seen their days…
Reward yourself always (duh)
Out with the old, in with the new! Now that your tattered and torn panties are a thing of the past, it’s time to reward yourself with some new BootayBag undies + matching sets. If you haven’t already, get going on the Spring cleaning and shop this month’s styles… they’re almost gone!
5 Ways to Style Your Fave Bralettes for Spring
Spring is here and all we want to do is dance around in our fave BB sets to celebrate. Literally screaming, “hello warmer, brighter days!” Bring on the sunshine, warm weather, Sunday brunch mimosas and all the fruity bevs by the pool. One thing we love about the change in...Read More
Spring is here and all we want to do is dance around in our fave BB sets to celebrate. Literally screaming, “hello warmer, brighter days!” Bring on the sunshine, warm weather, Sunday brunch mimosas and all the fruity bevs by the pool. One thing we love about the change in season is the feeling of renewal. We, as women, are forever changing into bolder and better versions of ourselves, right? The same is true for our BB brand. We believe in giving you something fresh and fun every month so that you can dance around in your sets too, sis.
One of our go-to staple pieces are our BB bralettes that are one part sexy, one part comfort and completely in season… every season. Here are our top 5 spring ways to style your BB bralettes this season.
1. Wear it with flowy bottoms and accessories
We can’t say spring without break at the end, right? What better way to rock your fave BB bralette than on it’s own (on top) with flowy bottoms for the ultimate spring break duo. This is the perfection combination of sultry and casual. High waisted pants, paper bag or wide-legged, (or even shorts) are the perfect pairing with the top. Add your fave chunky jewels and wide brimmed hat and call it a ‘fit! Who doesn’t want to see the lace trim on the new Kara bralette? Girl- you are about to fall in love with this style! Now- go grab your girls, your fave BB undies and some wine and jet off to spring vacay already.
2. Wear it under a colorful blazer
Blazers are always in. Whether you’re dressing one up or down, a BB bralette pairing is a must. Show off a colorful and fun bralette (think BB’s Kara in green) under a light and airy blazer. Choose lighter materials for your blazer, like linen, to kick up the spring vibes even more. PS- you may remember Kara from last year’s initial launch. She broke records like a true queen, so we couldn’t help but bring her back. Trimmed with delicate eyelet lace and double lined cups, she is the perfect addition to any open-front top option, especially a blazer. ;)
3. Wear it under a sheer top
With warmer weather upon us, it’s time to let it all out, girl. Nothing exudes confidence quite like a woman in a sheer top. Darker sheers are the perfect blend of sexy and mysterious, while lighter sheers scream, “watch out, queen coming through!” A BB bralette, like babygirl, Simone is the most ideal sheer top addition. Making her second BB debut, she’s returning in a fiery solid color to add just the right touch of bad babe to your wardrobe. She is supportive AF with underwire and double straps. She is a staple and top drawer mama in our house, so we hope she plays the same role for you. Pair her under your favorite sheer, high-necked top and a pencil skirt for a night out with the girls or a steamy date night. Trust us, she is it.
4. Wear it with high waisted jeans
Okay, girl- forget the white tee and jeans look and replace it with the BB bralette and jeans look. A fuller bralette is the perfect replacement for a crop top or tee. High waisted jeans keep you a bit more covered up at the waist while also allowing you to show off some skin at the top. We love this love with all BB bralettes so choose your favorite option and rock it all season, babe.
5. Wear it under a strappy dress
BB bralettes are for show. Forget the days of tucking bra straps and matching our bras to our tops in an effort to hide our undies. It’s time to show off what we love to the world. Spring and summer is a time to wear dresses of all designs. From maxi to ribbed and midi to tiered, the options are endless. Pair your favorite BB bralette with any style of dress to add extra dimension and boldness. BB bralettes go especially well with strappy, backless or low cut dresses as their designs are way more out to play in those.
Whatever way you choose to style your outfits, make sure to include a BB bralette in your wardrobe on the daily. Spring is all about making a fashion statement after the long and layer-filled winter. Step out in bold styles and colors and put your best bralette forward, babe. We can’t wait to see them (and you!) steal the show.
5 Must Try Wines Made By Women
In recent years, women have been taking the wine world by storm and I’m totally here for it. I am always on the hunt for the perfect bottle to pop open when kicking back and relaxing with my favorite guilty pleasure reality TV shows, and I can feel a little...Read More
In recent years, women have been taking the wine world by storm and I’m totally here for it. I am always on the hunt for the perfect bottle to pop open when kicking back and relaxing with my favorite guilty pleasure reality TV shows, and I can feel a little bit less guilty when what’s in my glass has been produced by inspiring women who are reshaping the wine world as we know it. From women who have carved out space from themselves by founding their own wineries to women who have taken over the winemaking operation at historic vineyards, there are so many incredible wines to try that celebrate some badass ladies!
Krista Scruggs started ZAFA Wines in Vermont in 2018 and has quickly made a name for herself with her unique, organic, biodynamic wines. ZAFA not only creates delicious, fizzy, natural wines, but they also produce ciders and exciting co-fermentations that incorporate both wild apples and locally-grown grapes. If you’re on the hunt for a funky and fun wine that is like nothing you’ve tried before, ZAFA’s got the goods for you!
ZAFA is 100% woman-owned and has intentionally maintained a staff of at least 85% women in order to provide opportunities to folks who have historically been left out of the wine industry.
Since Krista isn’t afraid to mix things up in the wine world with her innovative approach to winemaking, ZAFA wines are best paired with a BootayBag’s Mix It Up bag - which one are you wearing?
Best known for their bubbles, Domaine Chandon is a well-regarded institution in California winemaking. Founded in 1973, Chandon was one of the first French-owned sparkling wine producers in the United States. They’ve channeled traditional French winemaking practices for over 40 years, and with Pauline Lhote at the helm they continue to produce delicate bottles that capture the sparkling essence of the California sunshine!
Pauline Lhote grew up in Champagne, France and expanded her love for sparkling wines while working at Moët & Chandon. She has found terrific success as a winemaker, but even so she recognizes that “As a woman, I feel that you need to be a lot more convincing and persuasive to have people adhere to your ideas and vision, so it just takes a little more effort." Her efforts haven’t gone unnoticed as the wines at Domaine Chandon are always celebrated as some of California’s best!
Domaine Chandon is a wine institution steeped in tradition and legacy— aka the equivalent to BootayBag’s Always Thong bag. We’re rocking ours now with a full glass ;)
Maivino produces vegan-friendly wines in unique sustainable pouch packaging that is designed to keep wine fresh for 30 days! Maivino’s founder, Mai Vu, believes that adhering too strictly to tradition can make wine boring. Maivino is here to shake things up and make great wines more accessible to everyone!
Mai spent the majority career working her way up the corporate ladder in the advertising industry, but in 2018 she made the bold decision to leave her job to create Maivino. Mai saw how much waste was happening in the wine industry and started crunching the numbers: by reducing waste in the wine production and packaging processes, she could create fantastic wines with an unexpectedly approachable price tag. Awesome wine with an even more awesome price? Sign me up ASAP!
Affordable wine (check), affordable undies (check), the perfect pairing if you ask me ;)
Kaitlyn Bristowe, everyone’s fave from Bachelor Nation, has teamed up with sommelier Samantha Capaldi to launch the Spade & Sparrows wine label. Their diverse line-up of wines was made with the vision of bringing people together to share in their love of what’s in their glass without some of the snobbery that can often be associated with the wine world.
Now that coming together IRL is a bit more difficult, you can also book virtual tastings with Samantha Capaldi to bring your friends and family together to share a great bottle of wine virtually while learning all about the magic that happens behind the scenes at Spade & Sparrows!
Spade & Sparrows leans into their sexy side with the slogan “Great legs, full body—and the wine’s not bad either.” We’re pairing a glass of the full body with a full bootay (our fave BB never thong style) Hbu?
Cakebread Cellars is another historic institution in California winemaking that was founded by the Cakebread family in 1973. Because of their long-standing legacy of making beautiful wines, Cakebread Cellars takes their winemaking very seriously and has only had four different winemakers in their nearly 50-year history. Stephanie Jacobs joined the Cakebread team in 2017 and has been upholding their high standard for excellence ever since.
Having studied wine in both France and California, Stephanie has unparalleled expertise in the craft of winemaking, but that doesn’t mean these wines are to be taken too seriously! Stephanie believes that all of the wines she oversees at Cakebread Cellars are always best paired with good food and even better company.
Since everything’s better together, you bet we’re in this month’s matching set with a full pour ;)
The Best Advice From Badass Women
When it comes to celebrating all the things that make each of us a badass woman it's always fun to lean into others for some advice that fuels us to be our greatest selves. From your best girlfriends to your momma, you can get girl-powered advice from some of the...Read More
When it comes to celebrating all the things that make each of us a badass woman it's always fun to lean into others for some advice that fuels us to be our greatest selves. From your best girlfriends to your momma, you can get girl-powered advice from some of the finest if you just look at your circle of love, but there have been some pretty badass women throughout history that have really told us how to get it, ladies. Listen up for some of our faves and choose one (or all!) to help you feel empowered today and all of 2021. Seriously, sit back and enjoy.
Dive headfirst into things that scare the shit out of you
Seriously though, some of the scariest moments in our lives are the most awakening times for us as women. Yeah sure fear, anxiety, self-doubt and complicated emotions can get the best of us on our worst days, but don’t let those emotions outweigh the good that is ahead.
Helen Mirren once said, “My headmistress told me not to be afraid of being afraid,” and we think that sums it up pretty nicely. We think she’d for sure be a Mix It Up #bootaybabe.
Don’t be so afraid of failure that you choose not to leap. Instead, rely on your moral compass and your own intuition to guide you to your next life season… every season. Whether it's deciding on a career change, a spontaneous move across the country, an on-the-rocks relationship or even a new outfit that is out of your comfort zone, don’t be afraid of what could go wrong, instead, focus on all the things that could go right. Speaking of outfits… we think there is a lot that could go right with when you start the base layer of your wardrobe with something spicy from BB. Seriously though, stop being so scared of everything, on top of the weight of the pandemic fear, that you are not living each day to the fullest. Yeah, “the fullest” may look different now all thanks to COVID, but get in tuned with yourself and find ways to be present and face your fears- big and small.
Trust your instincts
As women we always try to see the best in people, even if they show us anything but, right? Ugh. Empathy is an amazing trait we inherently carry, but it can be so draining to our own self-love goals. If you get shady vibes about someone you just meet, or even someone you’ve known for a while, trust your gut, it hardly ever lies, babe.
Maya Angelou once said, “When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time,” and she’s absolutely right. This is some advice that we need to manifest in our daily lives, babe! Ms. Angelou would 10/10 be a Never Thong girl don’t ya think?
Have you ever dated a guy that treated you like crap, but you still gave him the benefit of the doubt in hopes that he would change or show you otherwise? Yeah, same. Often, shitty people show us their true colors from the beginning, we just choose to view their own personal rainbow with tainted rose colored glasses. STOP IT. This year make a commitment to yourself to believe what people show you the first time, no matter what that may look like. Instead of trying to understand every facet of someone, take them as they are. Don’t force changes on them or yourself for the sake of hope. This may sound like a harsh approach, but it’s actually really freeing.
You’re a star, babe
How often do you celebrate all the things that make you amazing? Not as often as you need to is what we are guessing. It’s cool, babe, most of us are so caught up in everything that is going on right now, from WFH life to virtual date nights featuring wine + BB outfits, that we forget about shining like the stars that we are.
Robin Roberts once said, “Don’t play a supporting role in your own life,” and we are here to reply with, “100% babe.” Robin is 100% into the Always Thong with that attitude. ;)
Don’t sit back and let the world pass you by. Get up today with a new mindset, a new lease on life and a new way of loving yourself. Self-love is essential to a healthy life so do yourself a favor and pencil in some self-care on your calendar every freakin’ day… not joking. Take 30 minutes out of your day to focus on you.
Some of our favorite ways to be a star in the self-care realm are:
- Scheduling a monthly massage for you, you and you.
- Indulging in a nice soak + wine after a long week.
- Curling up on the couch with your favorite read, electronics out of sight.
- Subscribing to a monthly treat (our favorite is BB ;) )
- Ordering your favorite takeout once a week.
- Planning a mini getaway or staycation to relax and unwind.
Whatever way you choose to self-care, don’t forget the importance of playing the lead role in your own life. Take care of you, stand up for what you believe in and share your opinions and thoughts with those you care about. We believe in you and know that you deserve to shine bright, babe.
5 Ways to Have Your Best At-Home Photo Shoot
Happy Body Positivity Month! We’re here to remind you that there’s never, and we mean NEVER, a wrong time to celebrate your body or practice self love. Our bodies do so much for us and we want to encourage you to remember that this month and beyond. Looking for a...Read More
Happy Body Positivity Month! We’re here to remind you that there’s never, and we mean NEVER, a wrong time to celebrate your body or practice self love. Our bodies do so much for us and we want to encourage you to remember that this month and beyond.
Looking for a fun way to practice loving your body this month? Slide into your new BootayBag matching set and have yourself an at-home photo shoot! Whether you decide to keep the photos to yourself or use it for some fun content to share on social media (be sure to tag us @bootaybag_) , you can use this moment to celebrate all that you are and to get your creative juices flowing. Below are some of our best tips:
Get Creative with Your Backdrop!
You’re first thought of using a backdrop in your home is probably panic. Maybe the rooms you have in mind are a bit messy or don’t have the best lighting. All of that aside, you can totally get creative in terms of how you want your backdrop to look. Some options include a plain wall or even a tapestry or sheet.
Don’t hesitate to use some of the products in your home to amplify your backdrop a little bit. Have some indoor plants or house decor that can jazz up your pictures? Go for it! Maybe a little organized mess in the back is what makes your photos stand out in the end ;)
Wear What Makes You the Most Comfortable
This is probably the most important tip on this list. I’m a firm believer that a good matching set can boost your mood, so why not go for it? We hope you feel your best in your BB but there’s no shame in styling it with something a little fuller coverage.
Whether it’s a cute look you haven’t worn out yet or it is just your fave set from this month’s BootayBag (all else optional), the choice is entirely yours. We know you’ll look amazing either way!
Play Around With Lighting
Not all spaces are blessed with great lighting, especially if your space is on the darker side. If you’re looking for a good lighting option, you can never go wrong with the natural light coming from a window.
You can also play around with other forms of light like colored ones or fairy lights to add a unique twist to your pictures.
Self Timer is Your Best Friend
Yes, having that go-to person to take photos for you is always convenient, but it is absolutely not necessary! Using the self-timer feature on your camera or phone will handle that all for you. Prop your phone up on whatever works best for you, turn the self-timer on and start posing.
This activity is meant to be fun, so don’t put too much pressure on yourself. It never hurts to take a look at social media or Pinterest for a little bit of inspiration, or the BB IG feed of course ;) but going by your own rules is just one factor that will make your at-home photo shoot unique to you and only you!
At the end of the day, no one is you and that’s what makes you so amazing! Turn on your hot girl playlist (we all have one), snap some pictures and if you really love it, do it all over again and share them with us! Xx
Embracing Self Love
Girl, in a world where you should always be queen, self-care should be your trusty magical wand to get sh*t done. Seriously, how often do you prioritize taking care of you throughout the ever-too-real pressures and endless to-do lists of the daily grind? Not often? Yeah, we get it. As...Read More
Girl, in a world where you should always be queen, self-care should be your trusty magical wand to get sh*t done. Seriously, how often do you prioritize taking care of you throughout the ever-too-real pressures and endless to-do lists of the daily grind? Not often? Yeah, we get it. As women, we tend to put our own care last, but, new year, new mentality is coming in hot, so it’s time to change up that mindset and start taking care of you, babe.
Self-love is essential
Why is it so much easier to give love to others than it is to love ourselves fully? This question is such an essential piece of understanding how to begin loving ourselves to the fullest. Do you know how many people begin to babble off a list of people they love, when asked, and always forget to say, “me?’ TOO MANY. You are the most important person in your life. Stop putting other people in front of yourself. Stop choosing other people’s joy, happiness, peace and fulfillment above your own. Your selflessness is admirable, babe, but let’s circle back to you. Self-love is the basis to all other positive aspects of your life. If you can’t find ways to love yourself, all other pieces of your life won’t be as beautiful as they could be. Starting right now, put yourself on a pedestal and celebrate all the things that make you stunning, babe.
Here are some of our fave things to do:
- Schedule “me time” every week and do things that you love.
- Buy yourself flowers.
- Treat yourself to a monthly subscription that brings you joy (aka monthly undies, but we might be bias ;))
- Spend a whole day lounging in your fave BB matching set, splurging on takeout and indulging in a Netflix marathon (have you seen Bridgerton yet?!).
- Find time every day to move your body in a way that makes you feel good inside (we prefer dancing in our undies to our ‘Yeah Girl’ playlist).
Celebrate the skin you’re in
Authenticity is always in style, sis. Stop trying to change up the way you look just to fit the status quo of the season. Newsflash: you’re beautiful just as you are, so get used to it and embrace it. Everyone has flaws, inside and out, but that doesn’t make them less-than. Differences make us special and we need to start embracing them more. Instead of always thinking about how you look, from one moment to the next, consider how you feel. If an outfit makes you feel flawless then you better werk, girl. And if something makes you uncomfortable in your skin, keep on movin’. Your style should be a reflection of who you are in all facets. Share your light and beauty with the world. To feel sexy in your own skin, we highly recommend slipping into a pair of our favorite undies and celebrating all that you are. Get it, babe.
Say good-bye to the negativity
No seriously, babe, cue Ciara’s, “level up,” hit because it’s time to level tf up and get rid of the toxic in your life. We all have it, some of us are just carrying around more baggage than others. Whatever the case, we are here to tell you, it’s all good, but it’s time to take out the trash. Whatever is causing you stress, anxiety, heartache, depression or self-doubt needs to be left out on the curb. 2021 is all about cleaning up and creating a space for yourself that is overflowing with self-love, happiness, peace and calm (especially after the dumpster fire that was 2020).
Some of our favorite ways to nix the negativity are:
- Deleting or unfollowing people on social who make you feel shitty.
- Blocking your ex’s number.
- Saying no to people and things that you don’t want to associate with.
- Setting boundaries in your personal and professional life.
- Changing your mindset about how to handle bad situations in your life.
- Decluttering your mind and your physical space, ridding yourself of anything that does not bring you joy.
No matter what happens in life, you always have you. Self-love is essential to living an intentionally beautiful life. This year we encourage you to find things that bring you true happiness, a fulfilled sense of peace and beauty in every step. Some days you may not feel like it, but we promise you are worth it, babe. You deserve the world, so, go on and get it.
New Year, New BootayBag
We can’t believe we can finally say goodbye to 2020 and hello to a freaking new year! As we head into this new year, our motto is “New Year, Best You” because we don’t believe you need a “new” you. The current you might need a few improvements, but she...Read More
We can’t believe we can finally say goodbye to 2020 and hello to a freaking new year! As we head into this new year, our motto is “New Year, Best You” because we don’t believe you need a “new” you. The current you might need a few improvements, but she doesn’t need to totally be replaced like your old undies (please do us a favor and replace those, we can help ;)). So cheers to loving the current you with a few minor improvements, goals, and new BB sets in 2021.
Before we can even think about what we need to be our best selves in the new year, we have to say goodbye to a few things we are leaving behind in 2020. We don’t know about you, but here’s a little of what our breakup list looks like:
- Unnecessary amounts of coordinating sweatsuits (only keeping 14/38)
- Our wine subscription (okay maybe not a total breakup but cutting back on deliveries…)
- “U up” texts (quarantine was lonely, ok)
- Tie dye everything (not sure if it’s still trending?)
- 12 hours/day of screen time (has anyone else figured out how to turn off these notifications?!)
- Zoom happy hours (we’re ready for the real deal)
- Dirty laundry (we’re talking literally and figuratively)
Okay now that that’s out of the way, we can finally look ahead for what’s to come in 2021. Speaking of dirty laundry, we are here to help with the literal aspect of that (figuratively speaking, you’re on your own). Copious amounts of sweatpants: unnecessary. Copious amounts of underwear: totally necessary. Say goodbye to dirty laundry (or just laundry in general) and hello to getting new bras and underwear shipped right to your door every month (if you aren’t already ;)).
As we were reviewing our goals for becoming the best version of ourselves in the new year, one of the top things on the list was to be kinder to ourselves and our bodies. We hope you feel as beautiful, confident, and unstoppable as we do when you slip into a new BB matching set.
ICYMI - This year we are bringing so much new for our babes all based on your feedback and requests. You know we are listening, right? ;)
Here’s what you can expect:
- Member Early Access - Members have already gotten a taste of this one and we’re keeping it going into 2021. 48 hour exclusive access to secure your style and add-ons, don’t miss it!
- New Product Names - ICYMI all of our products (monthly undies and add-ons) are now named after all of you babes! This is our small way of giving back to our amazing community of women, so keep your eyes peeled for your exclusive style in an upcoming monthly bag! We can’t wait for you to meet the girls ;)
- Limited Edition Items - The Hideaway Set we released this month was just a little taste of what’s to come… if you missed out, don’t worry! There’s plenty more where that came from.
- Must-Have Rewards - If you’re a member, you earned double points all month long and soon you can put those to good use. ;) We’re dropping new rewards products soon and you are going to love them. The more BB swag, the merrier, right?!
- Updated Member Portal - This one has been a long time coming and we have been working so hard to improve your site experience based on all your feedback. A shiny new portal will be launching soon with easier navigation, updated discount field, better add-on shopping experience, improved rewards section, and so. much. more.
- Reworked Past Faves - You know we don’t typically restock our styles, however, we had some serious best sellers in 2020 that you babes practically begged for more of so of course we had to deliver. Keep your eyes peeled for some of your past faves making a comeback in new colors with improved fit and features all based on your feedback!
It's Time To Put Yourself First
When’s the last time you put yourself first? I mean truly, truly put yourself first before anyone else or regardless of what everyone else is doing. Let’s face it–– we’ve all experienced moments in our lives where we just can’t seem to catch a break. Maybe your tasks at...Read More
When’s the last time you put yourself first? I mean truly, truly put yourself first before anyone else or regardless of what everyone else is doing.
Let’s face it–– we’ve all experienced moments in our lives where we just can’t seem to catch a break. Maybe your tasks at work feel like they’re piling up with no end, or maybe your days have constantly been on-the-go, so much so that you can’t even pinpoint when you last had a break.
The truth is, no matter what your to-do list looks like, remembering to put yourself and your needs first is key. Not sure where to start? Below are some ways that never fail to give me the energy I need to push forward.
Get Comfortable With Saying ‘No’
If anyone has the hardest time saying ‘no’ to anyone or anything, it’s me. After years, this is something I still continue to struggle with to this day, but it’s one of those things where the pros outweigh everything else.
As hard as it is to get that simple, two-letter word out, it’s worth it. We’re only human and can’t do everything that comes our way. Feeling exhausted and don’t feel like going out? That’s okay! Nothing to be ashamed of.
Make Time For The Things You Love
People, places, things, it doesn’t matter. The things that you care about deserve to be a priority on your list! Think about some of the things you enjoy most. You can even write a list if you want.
For me, this is reading, going for walks, writing and unplugging from all things social media. I’ve learned that even a few minutes a day of doing the things you love can make such a difference.
Remember Your ‘Why’
If you find it hard to prioritize putting yourself first in the beginning, always remind yourself of why you’re doing it in the first place. For me this is the gratification that I feel afterwards.
It always brings me peace knowing that I’ll have the energy to power through whatever it is I was struggling to get done knowing I gave myself the time to recharge.
Everyone’s ‘why’ looks different, but you can use it as a way to motivate yourself to prioritize your needs even further!
“Buy The Shoes” Or in this case, the bra!
You know that super cute bra you’ve had your eye on? Do yourself a favor and add it to your January BootayBag. Just that small little addition to your closet can do SO much for your confidence (and it’ll come in handy next month).
One thing that I love about my BootayBag subscription is that I never feel guilty when my pieces arrive. The new undies that I get in my bag instantly brings me a bit of joy… and even more when I add the bra. ;) Sliding into that new matching set is the feeling I live for! Pay attention to those moments that bring all the good feels. If that means buying the bra, you know we can’t argue with that! Life is short, buy the bra and feel the fire.
Five Holiday Baking Recipes That’ll WOW a Crowd
If there is one thing I have learned in my 30 years of walking this strange planet, it’s to pick dessert. A good dessert steals the show 100% of the time. Baking can sound intimidating, but it doesn’t have to be and I’ve got some recipes to prove it. Let’s...Read More
If there is one thing I have learned in my 30 years of walking this strange planet, it’s to pick dessert. A good dessert steals the show 100% of the time. Baking can sound intimidating, but it doesn’t have to be and I’ve got some recipes to prove it. Let’s take the pressure out of the pudding and make momma proud. Wanna hear the best part of this life hack? Dessert is budget friendly. For the non-bakers out there like me, I suggest picking one go-to dessert you plan to bring all season long. You will save money on ingredients this way. Pat yourself on the back and let’s do the damn thing, Betty Crocker.
1. Dark Chocolate Cranberry Magic Bars
- 1 cup cold, cubed, unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 12oz dark chocolate chips
- 2/3 cups dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 14oz sweetened condensed milk
Step 1. The Crust.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Add butter, sugar, and flour to a large bowl and use a fork to bring the ingredients together into pea sized crumbs.
- Press evenly into foil lined and greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
Step 2. The Filling.
- Sprinkle chocolate, cranberries, coconut, and pecans evenly over crust.
- Pour condensed milk over toppings and bake for 18 minutes.
- Place in the refrigerator to cool before cutting into bars.
2. Christmas Crack
- 1/4 pound salted saltine crackers (about one sleeve)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup m&m candies chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a 18x13 baking sheet with parchment paper. Place all of the saltines salt side up on the baking sheet in an even layer.
- Add the sugar, butter, and peanut butter to a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. When the mixture is fully boiling, stop stirring and allow to boil for three minutes.
- Carefully pour the boiling mixture over the crackers and put in the oven for five minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the chocolate chips. Return to the oven for 1 minute.
- Spread the chocolate chips out into an even layer and sprinkle the m&ms over the chocolate.
- Let cool on the counter for about 20 minutes. Place in the freezer for an hour and then break apart into small pieces.
3. Sugar Cookie Truffles
- 1 package (16 oz) Pillsbury™ Ready to Bake!™ refrigerated sugar cookies
- 10 oz vanilla-flavored candy coating (almond bark)
- 1 tablespoon holiday candy sprinkles or decors
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Shape each cookie into a ball; place 2 inches apart on un-greased large cookie sheets.
- Bake 9 to 12 minutes or until edges are light golden brown (center of cookies will be soft). Cool on cookie sheets 5 minutes. Shape each cookie into a ball. Refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes or until completely cooled and firm.
- Meanwhile, line cookie sheet with cooking parchment paper; set aside.
- In medium microwavable bowl, microwave candy coating uncovered on High 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted and smooth.
- Dip cookie balls, one at a time, into melted candy coating. If necessary, reheat coating. Place on cooking parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Immediately decorate with candy sprinkles. Refrigerate truffles about 10 minutes or until coating is set. Store covered in refrigerator.
4. Ginger Bread Cookie Bars
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature 12 tablespoons
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses I used Grandma's molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cream cheese soft
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter soft
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/5 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a 13" x 9" baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter for 30 seconds with electric mixer. Add sugar and beat for 3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and molasses and beat on medium low speed just until combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Gradually add to the sugar molasses mixture and beat on low until combined.
- Spread cookie dough in prepared pan. Spread evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until the top appears dry. The bars will puff up during baking and deflate while cooling.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting.
To Make The Frosting:
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add vanilla and powdered sugar. Mix well. It should be fluffy and thick.
- Spread frosting over cooled bars. Dress up with festive sprinkles. Cut into squares and serve
5. No Bake Pumpkin Spice Pie
- 1 ready-to-use graham cracker crust
- 2 small boxes (3.4 oz each) Jell-O Pumpkin Spice Instant Pudding Mix
- 2 cups half & half milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tub (8 oz) Cool Whip, thawed
- Chopped pecan for garnish, optional (Do it, it’s cute)
- Combine dry pudding mix, milk, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Beat together with a wire whisk, or hand held blender, until thick and creamy. About 2 minutes. Spread 1 1/2 cups into the pie crust (this is the 1st layer).
- To the remaining pudding mix, add 1 1/2 cups Cool Whip and stir until combined. Spread over the pudding layer in crust (for the 2nd layer).
- Spread the remaining Cool Whip on top (for the 3rd layer) and cover with the enclosed lid.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. I prefer to make ahead and refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, sprinkle the top with chopped pecans if wanted.
These Style Tips Are A Must-Know To Slay Your Holiday ‘fit
The holidays will be here in the blink of an eye and with this time of year comes loads of shopping, extra cooking and festive decorating. Of course, this holiday season will be unlike any other; we’re ditching many cherished traditions in order to keep our loved ones safe. But,...Read More
The holidays will be here in the blink of an eye and with this time of year comes loads of shopping, extra cooking and festive decorating. Of course, this holiday season will be unlike any other; we’re ditching many cherished traditions in order to keep our loved ones safe. But, that doesn’t mean you should forgo your annual holiday outfit... just change it up (and make it cozy)! You don’t need to buy anything new (but we won’t judge if you treat yourself to a little something extra in this month’s BootayBag). Rifle through your closet and spice up your low-key celebrations with these must-know style tips:
There’s no such thing as too much flannel
Whether you’re styling a cozy flannel and leggings or a classic flannel pajama set this month, you can’t go wrong with this holiday staple. Relax in your favorite flannel and best BB Never Thong style for the perfect at-home ensemble. Bonus points for a little lace or ruffle to spice up your look. For this year’s holiday fit, we’ll take comfort and style while wrapping presents and baking cookies.
Layers, layers, layers
Layers are an underrated style trick, especially this time of year. Let your fave BB set peek out from underneath a neutral tee, topped off with a comfy cardigan. Keep the bottoms simple with a pair of your favorite joggers (or ditch them all together), perfect for hanging out and watching holiday movies with the fam.
This year’s canceled holiday parties mean pants are optional… and that’s a new tradition we can get behind. Embrace the ‘new norm’ by throwing on an oversized sweater paired with 1 of 2 (you pick your fave) of BB’s December bralettes and let it all out while cozying home alone. Light up the fireplace, make yourself a big glass of (spiked) hot chocolate and curl up for a well-deserved nap, it’s been a year.
Confidence is key
When it comes to style, confidence makes all the difference. Regardless of if you fell victim to the ‘Quarantine 15’ like most of us, be confident in yourself in the clothes you wear. So throw on your favorite fit, strut your stuff and post that pic (and don’t forget to tag us) people will notice your confident attitude and gawk over your comfy outfit!
Five Easy Holiday Dishes To Bring To A Dinner Party
There is a reason they call it The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year and that is, comfort food. With countless gatherings ahead, it is important to set yourself up for success. If you feel the pressure of contributing a home-cooked dish, we’ve got you! Here are five simple, delicious...Read More
2 cans (10.5-oz) Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 cup buttermilk
1 (1-oz) package dry Ranch salad dressing mix
4 cans (14.5 oz. each) Del Monte® Cut, Whole or French-Style Green Beans, drained
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 pound bacon, cooked and chopped
1 (6-oz) can French's White Cheddar French Fried Onions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9x13-inch pan with cooking spray.
Stir together soup, buttermilk, ranch mix, drained green beans, cheese and cooked bacon. Pour in prepared pan. Top with Crispy Fried Onions.
Bake for 25 minutes to 30 minutes.
1 lb brussels sprouts
2 1/2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
a few pinches salt & pepper
6 oz applewood smoked bacon, chopped (about 5 slices)
3 tbsps apricot jam
1 1/4 tbsps apple cider vinegar
Fresh thyme to garnish
Pre-heat oven to 425F.
On a cutting board halve and quarter the brussel sprouts, discarding of the stems. Transfer to a large-rimmed baking sheet, then combine with EVOO and salt & pepper, tossing well to coat. Roast on oven middle rack for 20 – 25 minutes until done to your liking, stirring mid-way. The crispier the better.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook the chopped bacon over a medium flame until crispy, about 15 minutes. Be sure to drain any rendered fat from the skillet once the bacon is fully cooked. Next, reduce flame to low before stirring in the apricot jam and apple cider vinegar, incorporating well. Allow this mixture to simmer until needed, stirring occasionally.
Once the brussels are roasted, immediately transfer to a heat-proof serving dish. Top with the bacon jam and stir to combine, then serve! Garnish with fresh thyme if desired.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Bring a pot of water to a boil; add a generous sprinkling of salt the pasta.
While the pasta cooks, melt the butter in a skillet or pot large enough to hold the pasta when it’s done.
Add the flour and stir over medium heat until the mixture is lightly browned; 1-2 minutes.
Add the milk and whisk to remove any lumps and add the salt and pepper.
Cook over medium-high heat until the sauce thickens and starts to bubble. About 6 minutes.
Stir in the cheese and whisk until smooth and melted. Turn off the heat.
When the pasta is almost done but still firm, drain it and add to the sauce.
Stir the pasta into the sauce and bake in a greased 2 quart dish (or an 8×8 pan works pretty well) 20-25 minutes until browned and bubbly. You can also skip baking it if you want it super creamy and just put it under the broiler to brown the top (keep an eye on it) and then serve.
30 oz frozen shredded hash brown potatoes thawed
2 tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion diced
3 large garlic cloves minced
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups whole milk (can use reduced fat if needed)
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup sour cream
8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 tbsp minced parsley (can use dried parsley if needed)
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese topping
Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 casserole baking dish.
Preheat medium pot over medium heat on stove-top. Add oil, heat it through and add onions. Saute onions until they start to brown.
Smash and mince garlic and add it to the onions. Stir and saute until fragrant.
Sprinkle flour over the onions and stir well. Stir for a few seconds and start slowly pouring in chicken stock, while stirring. Pour in milk after that while stirring as well. Let the mixture heat through and start to thicken.
Stir in sour cream, cheese, salt, and pepper. Let the mixture cook and thicken as the cheese melts. Taste to make sure you have enough seasoning.
Stir in parsley.
Mix hash browns and cheese sauce in a large bowl and spread the mixture in the prepared casserole dish. Make sure it's all spread evenly throughout.
Spread some more cheese on top and bake for 35-40 minutes, until casserole browned and bubbles around the edges.
3 eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons melted butter
3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk (not skim)
pinch of grated nutmeg (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1 thawed pack frozen corn, four servings (about 2½ cups fresh or canned corn)
Preheat the oven to 350F. Prepare a 8x4" loaf pan with cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs with the melted butter, condensed milk and flour until well blended.
Stir in the milk and seasonings.
Add in the corn and combine.
Transfer to the loaf pan and spread evenly.
Bake for 40 - 50 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the custard is set.
Your WFH 'fit Based On Your BootayBag
We can't only be speaking for ourselves when we say our sweatsuit game gets stronger with each passing month of 2020. With the holiday season and winter fastly approaching (when did that happen?) our comfort level has been taken to 100. If you've peeped this month's styles already, you'll see that...Read More
We can't only be speaking for ourselves when we say our sweatsuit game gets stronger with each passing month of 2020. With the holiday season and winter fastly approaching (when did that happen?) our comfort level has been taken to 100.
If you've peeped this month's styles already, you'll see that November styles are basically catered to our WFH babes who want to be comfy but cute, and still totally functional. We haven't done too many style guides this year considering we've been wearing the same 'fit since March, but we finally bought new clothes since we gave up on laundry and now we're styling for the season.
Fall + Winter are our favorite seasons to style our undies with at-home comfort in mind. Oversized sweaters, flannels, fuzzy socks, and bae's hoodies... it all looks good with a BB matching set. Who knew there were so many ways to be comfortable and cute that didn’t involve a groutfit?
These 'fits will easily take you from Zoom call to Netflix marathon with minimal effort. Here's your seasonal WFH 'fit based on your BootayBag style:
Matching Set + Cozy Cardigan
Let’s be real - you don’t actually want to cover up this set’s femme details. The only way to make this cozier is by throwing on your ‘at-home-only’ duster and maybe those well-loved fuzzy socks. We know we aren’t the only ones that are a part of the Barefoot Dreams cult following (and for good reason).
Always Thong + Fall Flannel
‘Tis the season for girls gone plaid, am I right? The ultimate Fall staple to have in your wardrobe is a button-down flannel (maybe vintage, maybe Amazon). Pair it with jeans (maybe in 2021), or like us and everyone else right now, pair it with your undies because pants are optional this year.
Never Thong + Oversized Button-Down
Similar to the flannel, but a bit more lightweight comes in another fave - the oversized button-down. White, denim, or our pick - the menswear pinstripe. Paired with your fave cheeky undies and everything else becomes optional.
Mix It Up + Unisex Hoodie
You’re never too old to rock your highschool exes football hoodie. Or maybe you stole it from your current boo or it was an overpriced purchase at your college bookstore… either way it’s three sizes two big and therefore comfy AF. Not to mention the perfect pair to your bralette + undies.
These might be our every day, ride or die, on repeat at-home looks, but you bet we’ve been online shopping for more… because you can never have too many, right? Here are some other WFH ‘fits we’re loving right now:
- Onzie Weekend Sweatsuit - animal print is in and not just on the weekends.
- Shop Tanlines New Sport Drop - athleisure but make it cute even when you’re not actually working out.
- 12th Tribe’s New ‘The Elevate’ Collection - aka all of your aesthetically pleasing sweatsuit dreams coming true. *PS - You still have a few days to enter our BootayBag x 12th Tribe Giveaway. Enter to win a $200 12th Tribe GC (we’d spend it on this collection) and a year of your fave BB undies. Check it out on social here. Be sure to submit your email to confirm your entry.
Five Halloween Movies To Watch With Your Boo (In Your BB)
As if things aren’t spooky enough these days, peak *spooky season* is upon us. Of course this year hasn’t necessarily been normal, but fall festivities like apple picking and winery outings have given us a little bit of hope amid such an unusual time. But, the fun doesn’t have to...Read More
As if things aren’t spooky enough these days, peak *spooky season* is upon us. Of course this year hasn’t necessarily been normal, but fall festivities like apple picking and winery outings have given us a little bit of hope amid such an unusual time. But, the fun doesn’t have to stop after the sun goes down. Nothing is better on a cool, autumn night than a Halloween movie to finish out the day.
So call up your boo, throw on your favorite BB set -- we’re pairing our faves for each movie, be sure to let us know which one you’re rocking on social -- under a cozy flannel and light that Pumpkin Spice candle to set the mood for the ultimate fall date night. Struggling to pick the best movie to watch with your S.O.? Don’t worry, we’re here to help:
Hocus Pocus + The On The Radar Matching Set (Coming November 2020)
Not watching this classic Disney movie every Halloween season is all a bunch of hocus pocus. Follow the Sanderson sisters through their chaotic journey to feel young again after returning to life from 17th century Salem and wreak havoc on the present day that seems like a blessing compared to the havoc of 2020.
We’re pairing this movie with the upcoming November Matching Set for all the feels. This set is not only the perfect cozy number for hanging out with a bowl of popcorn and this all time fave flick, it’ll also have you feeling young again like your favorite witches. ;)
Nightmare Before Christmas + The Pull It Off Bralette (Coming November 2020)
The stop motion characters may be spooky looking by themselves, but the story is nothing but enjoyable and perfect for any date night. Jack Skellington, the pumpkin king, quickly learns not to mix Halloween and Christmas, kind of how we learned not to mix hard liquor and beer on a night out. Whether you’ve never seen this one or have watched it thousands of times, it never gets old. Plus, Jack and Sally are #goals.
Feeling like a character straight out of this childhood fave in my Pull It Off Bralette + sweats… if this is what dressing up for Halloween in 2020 looks like, I’m here for it. The black peekaboo combo on this sleek + comfy style has me feeling like a sexy Skellington and I love that for me. Don’t worry, we know you babes are *literally dying* for this one, it’s coming S O O N.
Silence of the Lambs + The After Dark Matching Set (September 2020)
OK, this one isn’t billed a Halloween movie, but for those who like psychological thrillers, it doesn’t get better than this. There are no ghosts, bats, or witches, but rather a thrilling quest to catch a serial killer. If you’re nightmare-prone, this might be the perfect movie to watch to prompt an invite to stay the night... you know, because you’re scared.
After Dark meets Silence of the Lambs… name a spookier duo! No tricks (or ghosts, bats, or witches) just treats with this fan-favorite set that brings you sexy lace in the front and seamless comfort in the back.
It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown + The Have To Have It Bralette (Classic BB fave!)
Do you believe in the Great Pumpkin? If thriller movies with jump-scares aren’t your jam, that’s OK! Settle in with Charlie Brown, Snoopy and all the Peanuts for this Halloween classic. It’s cute, it’s timeless, and it’s only 25 minutes, in case you’re planning a ‘Netflix and chill’ kind of night.
Just like you have to have this fan-fave bralette, you have to have this movie on your weekend halloween flick list every year and if you don’t… what are you even doing? Two ultimate classics = the perfect Fall night.
Saw + The Bring The Heat Set (Coming December 2020)
These movies are not for the faint of heart. With nine- yep, nine- movies in the franchise, you really can’t go wrong watching these with your S.O. Hold on to your popcorn and try not to scream while watching all of the horrific tests and death traps the Jigsaw Killer puts his victims through. Settle in for the ultimate movie marathon… if you dare.
Just like the movie, this set isn’t for the faint hearted ;) The name says it all… this set is bringing the heat while this movie is bringing the screams… While you’re screaming, crying, and grabbing on to the closest thing that brings you comfort, at least you will be looking fine as hell in this frilly lace number. You haven’t seen this one yet but we will be sneak peekin’ it VERY soon.
Bras Off to Breast Cancer Awareness
In honor of National No Bra Day, a day dedicated to Breast Cancer Awareness and celebrating strong women, we are ditching our bras and reminding you to check on your girls by learning how to properly self-examine at home. We know we aren't the only ones with a 12 step...Read More
In honor of National No Bra Day, a day dedicated to Breast Cancer Awareness and celebrating strong women, we are ditching our bras and reminding you to check on your girls by learning how to properly self-examine at home.
We know we aren't the only ones with a 12 step morning routine, so what's one more? We're adding in a regular self breast exam right after cleansing and moisturizing.
Don't know what you're doing? You're not the only one, we put together some tips + tricks from what we've learned and we also chatted with Melinda Williams RN, @thernceo, #bootaybabe and breast cancer survivor to fact check our how-to and answer some questions around self breast checks.
What age should I start self-examining at home?
You’re never too young to get started and if you haven’t yet, start now! It’s recommended that you start your breast exams at 21 years old. If someone in your family has been diagnosed with breast cancer, it is recommended that you begin clinical exams ten years prior to the age at which they were diagnosed.
How often should I be doing it?
Monthly! You don't have to do it every day but at least do it once a month. Set a reminder on your phone or calendar for the same day every month so you don't forget! Make sure it's three days before or three days after your menstrual cycle.
What am I looking/feeling for?
Anything that you think shouldn't be there - abnormal lumps, painful areas with no explanation, discharge... don't just check your breasts! Be sure to check for lumps under your arms too. This is commonly missed in self-exams. Breasts come in all different shapes and sizes, even our own sometimes, but only larger than normal discrepancies with unusual dimpling are ones to look out for.
How long does a self exam take and does it matter what time of day I do it?
Just a few minutes! There is no reason you can't fit it into your day once a month! It's best to do it first thing in the morning in front of a mirror or immediately after you shower (or in the shower). Do it while your coffee brews or while your face mask soaks in. You'll definitely be able to find somewhere to fit it in to your morning routine.
How to do a proper breast self-exam at home in 5 quick + easy steps:
- Stand with your arms at your sides and examine your breasts in the mirror. Raise your arms and do the same. Again, you're looking for any dimpling, changes in size, visible lumps or abnormalities.
- With the three middle fingers of your left hand, gently yet firmly press down using small motions to examine the entire right breast. Be sure to do the same with the other side! Feel anything unusual? Once you start doing these regularly, you'll notice what's supposed to be there and recognize if something new appears.
- Gently squeeze each nipple looking for any discharge.
- Stand or sit to examine and feel your underarms. This step is commonly missed but breast tissue is also in the underarm area!
- Remember, no question or concern is 'stupid' or 'dumb'. You know your body best and if something seems unusual, consult a doctor to be checked out and at the least set your mind to ease.
Loving Yourself (Down To Your Undies)
We all want the same love for ourselves that we are so able to give to others. Why is it so freaking hard?! Well, let’s start by getting down to the basics, and stripping down to our undies. ;) One of the most relatable things us babes can struggle with...Read More
We all want the same love for ourselves that we are so able to give to others. Why is it so freaking hard?! Well, let’s start by getting down to the basics, and stripping down to our undies. ;)
One of the most relatable things us babes can struggle with (let me know if you’re with me) is not knowing how to give our bodies the love it deserves. Learning to love you is not a 10 step routine like your nightly skincare... it is truly a journey of learning, experiencing, expressing gratitude and accepting that it is OK to be you in YOUR body. It is more than ok to fully be you, in full form. Mind AND body; in your best outfit or your undies (AKA your best outfit).
We as humans need to normalize our beautiful minds, emotions, physicality; starting with our bodies. We need to normalize those beautiful lines, bumps, and grooves, as they are a sign of a ‘lived in’ body. They’re called ‘beauty marks’ for a reason. Those stretch marks tell a story; your story in particular. We are all unique individuals because no two bodies are the same. Embrace that uniqueness! There is, and will be, only one of you on this beautiful earth.
Moving right along to our emotions. That emotional roller coaster you went on last week? That’s also normal. We all experience emotions, we are all human. Those emotions you experience shape you into the strong as hell person that you are today! Don’t forget to let those emotions come and go. Let yourself feel them, and then when you are ready, let them go. They build our minds to become stronger (even the ones we think of as negative; ex. anger, sadness, stress).
Our body and mind is what keeps us here. They nourish us when we nourish them. So let’s nourish the heck out of them! They deserve it so much. The mind is there for us to experience life with thoughts that come and go. Our mind holds our values, which includes the value of yourself. And girl, you are valuable! If we take care of our mind by nourishing it with positive thoughts, we will be gifted with positivity in return. Not only should we cherish our mind & body, but thank them for being our literal back bone since the beginning.
Here’s a little daily exercise to try:
- Find a cozy and peaceful spot in your home (in front of a mirror is best)
- Slip into your favorite BB matching set
- Grab your journal or anything to write on
- Make a list of things you love about you. And I’m talking about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. Go into as much or as little detail as you possibly want. Learn to fall more in love with the things that you love about you.
- Now make a list of things you want to love more; maybe something you haven’t even thought you could love about you. Work on loving those things more and more every single day, and nurturing those loving thoughts.
Like my beautiful friend Nina always says ‘you cannot hate yourself into a better place.’ And it’s true. You can only love yourself into a better place. Now that doesn’t mean there won’t be hard AF times along the journey, but don’t hate yourself for those hard times, because they in the end beautifully shape us into who we are.
You are YOU and no one can ever take that away; ever. Love THAT. Remember that loving you starts with every part of your beautiful being; your body, mind, & emotions. Start out small, slip on those undies and build that empire of loving thoughts! You got this!
Swipe Right: Lessons Learned in Modern Dating
First of all, I’d like to preface this article by letting you know a little bit about me. I am 29 years old, single, with a career and a dog. I would’ve liked to say by the time I was reaching my 30’s, I would’ve been married, with two kids,...Read More
First of all, I’d like to preface this article by letting you know a little bit about me. I am 29 years old, single, with a career and a dog. I would’ve liked to say by the time I was reaching my 30’s, I would’ve been married, with two kids, and a white-picket fence. But, that’s not the way things worked out. Instead, I am nearing 30, my dog is my child, and I don’t even have a yard to put a fence around. To paint even more of a picture for you; I am not a perfect person whose got it all figured out. To be honest, I’m typing this in sweatpants (and my BB undies of course), I can’t remember the last time I brushed my hair, and I have a pimple patch on my chimple (aka a giant pimple on my chin) because the stress of a pandemic is a lot. The stress of trying to date in a pandemic, is a lot a lot.
Anywho, over the past few years, I have tried dating in every which way. In the times we’re living in, it has become super hard to meet anyone organically. And in a pandemic, in which everyone is required to stay 6-feet apart, chances are no one will approach you at a bar (if the bar is even open). So, online dating it is! I have proudly been a member of every dating app. I’ve swiped left, I’ve swiped right, and I’ve shaken my phone to reverse my decisions in times of desperation. I’ve gone on blind dates. I’ve even auditioned for multiple (yes, you heard me correctly) dating shows, in order to find love. Through these experiences I’ve learned a thing or two, and I’d like to share my insight with you, in the hopes that at least one person reading this can relate!
I’m just going to come out and state the obvious; modern dating is HARD. I have been on so many dating sites and apps, my eyes are blurry and my thumb hurts. But I have put in the work for the greater good, and have brainstormed a list of my top 3 favorites:
- HINGE I love this app. Along with the others, you swipe right or left (pending whether you are interested in the guy/gal or not. Hinge allows you to develop a pretty detailed profile regarding education, religion, career, hometown, current location etc. But it also allows you to give more insight regarding your personality. For example, you can write two truths and a lie. I find this so intriguing! So, 9 times out of 10, I will message a guy solely because I just NEED to know. For me, it provides great conversation starters, which is helpful when trying to meet and fall in love with a complete stranger.
- BUMBLE This one is a little different than most apps. You still swipe right or left to your liking, but the cool thing about this one is once a connection is made (you have both mutually swiped into the “like” zone), the GIRL has complete control as to whether the conversation continues. The girl has 24hrs to message the guy back before the connection is lost (ie: the match disappears into the abyss and the guy gets bitter). I think this is fun! The pressure may be too much for some people, but I think it also applies some motivation for women who may usually be too timid to start the conversation. If they are interested enough, they will have to speak up! Adds a little fire under your butt at least.
- MATCH this site is highly advertised, and I do like it! I can’t say that its my absolute favorite, but I do feel like you may get more serious contenders here. It is an app that you have to pay for, and when money is involved, people get a little more serious. But I did find that the pool of men was definitely on a smaller scale than the others. But worth a try for sure!
Things to keep in mind before the date..
EAT! When you go on a first date, don’t forget to eat! If you’re anything like me, you will most likely order a drink (or 3) at dinner to calm the nerves. That is in addition to the pre-date glass of wine you had at home while getting ready. The last thing you want to do is get too drunk to even remember what the guy looked like. So, eating is crucial. For some reason, I tend to choose sushi as a first date meal because in my mind it seems less messy than a burger or spaghetti. But, I always regret it when I can barely use chopsticks and I try to fit a whole roll in my mouth at once. Not the cutest. But hey, do you girl. I don’t care what you eat, just make sure you do.
WEAR WHATEVER YOU WANT. Of course, you want to impress the guy (or gal) but most importantly, you want to be comfortable. If you feel good about how you look, you will increase your confidence, and your date won’t even notice your outfit because you will be glowing regardless. So, wear the dress, wear those heels, wear that lipstick you’ve been dying to try. Most importantly - make sure you’re wearing your fave BB set underneath it all and get on with your bad self. But trust me, your confidence will be more attractive than your outfit label, I promise.
BE PRESENT. I don’t know about you, but I know I tend to overthink, literally EVERYTHING. I think about whether my hair has poofed from humidity, whether I have something in my teeth, am I talking too much, am I talking too little, am I asking enough questions, am I drinking too much, am I rambling (probably could answer that one for ya)…I could go on and on (#rambling). Sometimes, my thoughts are so loud, that I can’t even hear my date. I am so focused on what might happen next that I forget to live in the moment. I used to spend the entire first date being so nervous and consumed with my thoughts, that by the end of the date, my primary feeling was that of relief rather than excitement, and I still couldn’t even tell you the last name of the guy I was out with (but we really only need to know that for the instagram stalk, right?). Nonetheless, it is so important to be present on a date. Try not to worry so much about what might happen, and focus on what is happening. Listen to what your date is saying. Observe his actions (is he laughing at your jokes, is he checking his phone). All of these things are important. But it is so crucial to pay attention and really take it all in to gauge how you really feel about the person. PS - please put your phones away.
- BE HONEST. I cannot stress this enough. It is so important to be honest with your date, and yourself, about what you’re truly looking for. If you are looking to get married and have two kids tomorrow, tell your date that. Yes, that may be scary for most people to hear. But if it’s what you want, you have to be honest. If it scares the guy, then they aren’t right for you. Laying your intentions out on the table is important. If you are not looking for the same things, it will not work. I promise you that. I have been in many situations in which the guy wasn’t ready for something serious, and I thought maybe I could be the game-changer. But unfortunately, life is (*typically) not a Hallmark movie. This has been one of the toughest pills for me to swallow, but if a guy tells you he is not ready for a relationship right now, BELIEVE HIM. You are too amazing to waste your time hoping for someone to change.
Things to keep in mind after the date…
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A “BAD TEXTER”. Let me say it again for the people in the back. There is no such thing as a “bad texter”. It takes less than two seconds to respond to a text. If a guy wants to call (or text) you, he will. If he doesn’t, he won’t. It’s really as simple as it sounds. Don’t believe me? The next time you are out for dinner (whenever the world opens up again), I want you to take a look around. I guarantee that 95% of people in that restaurant will either be looking at their phone in hand, have their phone in their back pocket, or have their phone sitting directly next to them on the table. You honestly believe that the guy you are dating “didn’t see your text” for days? Trust me, I have come up with many scenarios and justifications as to why he hasn’t texted me back too, but let’s get serious.
Hey sis, are you sitting down? I’m about to drop some hard truth.
- His phone was not dead for days (everyone has a charger and no one will go that long without finding one)
- His phone was not broken are dropped in a toilet (most likely)
- He did not lose your number
- If he says he didn’t see your texts, and yet is posting on Instagram or Snapchat.. move the F%$# on. You deserve better.
A DEALBREAKER IS CALLED A “DEALBREAKER” FOR A REASON. It is so easy to get wrapped up in the excitement of dating and the hope of what might be developing, that we lose sight of what we want or need. Even though the guy may look like Michael B Jordan (insert heart-eye emoji here), you need to make sure you are keeping sight of your standards. Now of course, I am not referring to physical attributes. I am a firm believer, that it is so important to date outside of your comfort zone when it comes to physical type. You may typically date men that are 6’2” and your soulmate may be 5’7”. However, it is important to always keep sight of your fundamental beliefs. If the guy tells you he never wants to have kids, and you do, then it most likely won’t work out. You can’t expect your partner to change their beliefs if you won’t either. These things have to go both ways. If it’s something your partner can be flexible with, then you must be open to being flexible too. If you or your partner won’t budge, then it’s a dealbreaker.
YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO PROVE YOUR WORTH TO ANYONE. Unfortunately, I have found myself in this situation more times than I’d like to admit. I will be so into a guy that I feel like I need to make him understand how great I am. I will put in so much effort to show him that I am thoughtful enough, cool enough, funny enough, to be with him. Then I take a step back and realize, what the heck am I doing!? Why am I fighting for his attention? Why am I working so hard to show this guy that I am worth his time? We’re all guilty of this. Yet, we should never have to PROVE ourselves to anyone. If the person you are dating does not know how great you are, using their own observations, then they are not even worth one more second of your time. What you really should be thinking about is if HE is good enough for YOU. If he ever makes you question yourself, then the answer is hard NO.
- DON’T FORGET TO MAKE TIME FOR YOURSELF. It is so easy to get wrapped up in the excitement of a new relationship. It’s easy to get consumed in the hope and the endless possibilities you create in your mind. But what happens if it doesn’t work out? If you’re like me, you probably spend so many minutes of your day thinking about what might become of this new guy; maybe you can go to that new restaurant opening downtown, maybe you can binge watch your favorite show together, maybe you can cook dinner for him (haha who am I kidding, I don’t cook). Regardless, I spend so much time thinking about the future, that if/when things don’t work out, I feel lost. I feel like I completely lose sight of what made me happy before I met this guy. That being said, it is so important to stay grounded and find things to focus on other than the guy. So, watch that show, go to that restaurant if you want. You may want the guy, but you don’t need the guy. If you like to read, keep reading! If you like to paint, keep painting! If you like to dance around your apt in your BB undies, keep dancing! Make sure you continue to find happiness within yourself while looking for someone to share it with. That may sound cliché, but it’s unbelievably true.
If you’ve stuck around long enough to get to the end of my rant, I want to say thank you for listening. Dating should be fun! If it becomes a chore, take a break. Trust the process. Trust the timing of your life. Everything will fall into place as it’s meant to. So, keep on swiping, give that guy a chance, put on those heels that have been collecting dust in your closet, or spend the night in with a facemask and a glass of wine. Whatever it is you chose, do what makes you happy.
Keeping It Sexy In Quarantine
Girl! What a whirlwind of a few months it’s been. Am I right? I feel like the world came to a literal halt due to COVID and everything that we knew kind of just disappeared. Since most of us have been in quarantine, to some level, over the last couple...Read More
Girl! What a whirlwind of a few months it’s been. Am I right? I feel like the world came to a literal halt due to COVID and everything that we knew kind of just disappeared. Since most of us have been in quarantine, to some level, over the last couple of months it can seem almost impossible to stay afloat in all of life’s pieces. UGH. One thing you cannot lose sight of is keeping the fire in your relationship. I get it- you’re surrounded by your partner literally 24/7, fighting over WFH space, laundry, hand sanitizer and random other shit that just seems to get in the way, but you love them through it. (I promise, you do!) You may be thinking, how TF do I keep it hot in the bedroom so that our sex life is killing it, right? It can seem hard to figure out, but it’s not impossible.
Keep Things Spontaneous
Just because you are stuck in the house together, it doesn’t mean you can’t keep it fun and spontaneous. Try these simple, but sexy tips to keep things interesting.
- Send sexy texts from the next room while your boo is on a Zoom call with his team from work. Yeah, they may see them check their phone, but they won’t know what those texts say. Say something like, “Meet me in the bedroom at 2PM.” Once they show up make sure you’re in your best BB set and ready for some fun.
Think texts like:
- “What’s the hottest thing I can do for you after this call?”
- “Come check out my new BootayBag ASAP”
- “Just wanted to text you to tell you that I am not wearing much of anything right now...thinking about you…”
- No zoom calls to interrupt? How about hopping in the shower with them after a nice workout together? No notice, full surprise and 100% steamy. Yes please. Find a perfect at-home workout on BB’s IGTV here.
- Been there, done that? Cook dinner naked. I mean, why not? (unless you have kids or others in the house). And by naked, we mean nothing but your BB undies, babe. ;) Check out some of our favorite healthy recipes that won’t break the bank here.
- Plan an impromptu date night in the house. Set the mood by dressing up in your hottest outfit, light candles and make (or order, no judgment) your partner their favorite dish. Put away the phones, turn off any distractions and indulge in some deep conversation. Once dinner is done, be the dessert they desire. Strip down to your even hotter outfit ;) What matching set are you wearing?
- Get outside! Find new adventures to have together that you didn’t have time for before. Yes, there are a ton of businesses still closed, but there are plenty of outdoor locations that you can enjoy together. Take in a local hiking spot and picnic at the top of the mountain or end of your trail. Doing new things together can light a dim spark to a full fire again in no time.
Favorite adventures we’re taking:
- Picnic in the park
- Waterside stroll @ sunset
- Hike a nearby mountain to take in the sunrise
- Plan a pool session together
- Order out and have a “in car” date sharing food from your favorite local spot
Listen, we have been dealing with some really insane times. No one could have guessed this or planned for this or experienced it in their wildest dreams, right? It’s hard. It’s frustrating. It’s draining and annoying AF, but not impossible to get through. These trying times as a world can blossom into the most intimate as a couple if you handle things the right way. Communication and love will get you through any roadblocks you may be having. If you feel like you are struggling with intimacy issues right now, you’re not alone. Be open with your partner about it and try some of these fun, light-hearted ideas to get you back on track and satisfied.
My Thighs Don't Lie
Picture this: You just got out of the shower, squeaky clean, feeling fresh as hell. Then you stop and look in the mirror. Suddenly, it no longer feels like you just hit the reset button. Your brain immediately goes to a blemish on your cheek, a soft roll on your...Read More
Picture this: You just got out of the shower, squeaky clean, feeling fresh as hell. Then you stop and look in the mirror. Suddenly, it no longer feels like you just hit the reset button. Your brain immediately goes to a blemish on your cheek, a soft roll on your belly, a saggy breast. You just took care of your body’s physical needs, but you’re no longer taking care of it. Now it’s the enemy.
Ever been asked to share your favorite body part or feature? What did you say?
“My eyebrows” is my go-to, safe answer. Why? I’ve always had wide hips. I’ve never had a flat stomach. If my body and I were Facebook officially, our relationship status would be “It’s Complicated.” I’d call us frenemies.
I want to like her, I really do. Sometimes she just really grinds my gears. And all of those “why” questions start to creep in…
“Why aren’t you thin like her?”
“Why can’t you have perky boobs like her?”
“Why don’t you have beautiful, full, flowing hair like her?”
I look myself up and down. I stop at my eyebrows. Yes, they have a beautiful natural arch. But I am more than my eyebrows. So I keep looking. And I stop at my thighs. My thighs. If I could go back to that high school health class, I’d whisper in my 14-year-old ear:
“Tell them about your thighs.”
I didn’t realize it until someone sent me a DM on Instagram commenting on how strong they thought my thighs looked. I paused. As a fitness instructor, I naturally have thick thighs. They’re more toned than my abs ever will be. My thighs hold the power. They are symbolic of my work, of how I can hop on a bike nine times a week and help move people to live healthier lives, lives where they are motivated to grow to be better versions of themselves.
My thighs represent a journey, from hating my body completely to finding moments of acceptance, even of love.
Take a second to think about what’s between your thighs while we’re at it. The source of human life is there. Your thighs protect the future of the world. How freaking cool is that?
But anyway, back to this conversation about our relationship with our bodies. In my opinion, scrolling is the enabler of destructive self-talk. Social media is a highlight reel. It’s not always real. We always want to live like someone else, succeed like someone else, look like someone else. Remember: It’s reel versus real.
But here’s what I’ve learned from my thighs: We all share this struggle. For as many people that I say I want to look like or even just steal certain features of, there’s the same number of people who are saying the same about me. I think it’s time to change that narrative. Throw jealousy and longing out the window.
Instead, we need to step into our power.
I said it before, and I’ll say it again: MY THIGHS HOLD THE POWER. So take a good, long look at yourself. Where in your body are you holding your power? Think about the journey that part of your body has been on; think about how it’s brought you to where you are right now, staring into the mirror.
Be proud of its path. Be thankful for its growth.
Oh, and make sure you moisturize. Especially between the thighs.
...and if moisturizing isn’t enough and you need a bit more of a push, here are some resources that will help you transform that negative self-talk into self-love.
- A Life Full of Glitter by Anna O’Brien
- Untamed by Glennon Doyle
- Unf*ck Your Brain by Faith G. Harper
- Depression in a Digital Age by Fiona Thomas
- You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero
IG ACCOUNTS TO FOLLOW:
THINGS TO DO:
- Write 3 “I am…” statements every day.
- Write an affirmation on your mirror each week.
- Have a 30-second dance party! (Meredith and Christina were really onto something!)
Life A.Q. (After Quarantine)
What a crazy world we are living in right now. I seriously still can’t seem to wrap my head around the fact that we are actually living through this time. We, as millennials, are living through something that I only thought I’d ever read about in history class (don’t be...Read More
What a crazy world we are living in right now. I seriously still can’t seem to wrap my head around the fact that we are actually living through this time. We, as millennials, are living through something that I only thought I’d ever read about in history class (don’t be fooled, I never actually did that reading). Well, news flash, it’s happening here and now, right before our thought to be filtered view, and no I’m not just talking about the murder hornets (but seriously wtf were those?).
Anyways, as we begin this ‘transitional’ period that much the nation is right now, there are so many precautions to take, questions to ask, and weird silence and motions when trying to figure out if you should get in the elevator with someone.
From a recent poll we shared on our Instagram Stories, we learned that most of you babes don’t actually hate quarantine and are still staying at home (78% of you to be exact) even though your city/state has reopened. Those of you who are going out (and hopefully wearing a mask) are seeing family over friends and really only dining outdoors. For those leaving the house, major kudos. I just have one question.. What are you wearing?
What I think I look like at my first public outing post quarantine:
Ok but… 1. These sweatpants are all that fit me right now and 2. The public is lucky that I am even wearing pants. I mean seriously… after 4 months where ‘getting ready for work’ meant wearing the same BB matching set and sweatshirt as the day before how can one be expected to wear such a thing as pants again? Let alone ones that aren’t a unisex fit with an elastic waistband. My jeans for sure have to have imagined me dead by now.
As some of us maneuver how to safely leave quarantine and try and get back to a somewhat normal routine outside of the walls of their home, and others choose to stay in, snack every hour, and only talk to their dog... just remember that we are all figuring out how to live this ‘new normal’ together.
So what’s next? If only we had all the answers. We do, however, have some tips for how you can safely transition into the outside world after quarantine.
Tips for Life A.Q.:
And remember, you can still be ‘100% that bitch’ at home in sweatpants. ;)
6 Tips for a Sweet + Sexy Solo Date Night
We all know that self-care is a huge priority for women these days. Even in quarantine, we’re running around being our badass selves, working from home, checking in on our friends + family, pumping out loaves of banana bread, attempting virtual workouts with wine bottle dumbbells, and somehow finding the...Read More
We all know that self-care is a huge priority for women these days. Even in quarantine, we’re running around being our badass selves, working from home, checking in on our friends + family, pumping out loaves of banana bread, attempting virtual workouts with wine bottle dumbbells, and somehow finding the energy at the end of the day to get through our 10-step skincare routine without passing out (OH MY GOD). We’re BUSY, and that is certainly something to be proud of. But just as much as we need to tick off those to-do items and daily goals, we also need time to slow down, listen to our bodies, and treat ourselves to a much-needed night off.
The next time you’re feeling a little overwhelmed or burnt out (which is totally normal), rather than booking an expensive massage or facial, try planning a cute date night for yourself! Regardless of whether you’re in a long-term relationship or living your best single life, you deserve a special evening that is devoted entirely to you and your needs, planned by the person who knows you best. You have full reign to go crazy with your self-inspired planning, but, if you need a few ideas to spark your imagination, check out my solo date night staples below, starting with something sweet, and ending with something sexy. Get it, girl.
Treat Yourself (Literally)
What killer date doesn’t involve dinner and nomz?! This is the perfect opportunity to grab that Eataly pizza-making kit you’ve had your eye on, or to finally test out Chrissy Teigen’s to-die-for, garlicky mac and cheese. And guess what? If it tastes like shit, the only guest you have to please is yourself; hopefully you can laugh it off and dig into that leftover banana bread. As long as your tummy is 100% satisfied, mission accomplished (we’ll get to the other kind of satisfaction later). As an added bonus, I always make sure I’m prepared with ALL THE SNACKS for a post-dinner treat. Sometimes (don’t judge me), I’ll just eat straight-up brie cheese on a baguette because that makes me feel cool and French and sophisticated. If you’re a sweet vs. savory gal, try some homemade chocolate-covered strawberries or pick up a box of macarons for an aesthetically pleasing dessert. Oui, queen!
Dress Up...Or Down
Just as you would for any other date, it’s time to pick an outfit that makes you feel like a freakin’ goddess. Whether that’s a sexy BootayBag Bralette underneath your new tie-dye lounge set, or your fave pair of undies from this month's BootayBag paired with a divine, little bathrobe, the goal is for you to feel undeniably amazing about the skin - and undies - you’re in. Finish the look by adding your go-to lip gloss, a little natural mascara, and a few dewey highlighter drops so you can glow inside and out. Then, snap a quick selfie or 8 (or a polaroid if you’re feeling extra...aren’t we all?) to document your perfect, love-yourself vibe. This is your moment to look in the mirror and acknowledge, without a doubt in the world, that you are beautiful, sexy, and confident just the way you are.
No, not like that (although we're not opposed...coming next). Date nights are all about ambiance, so dim the lights, fire up all of your candles, and rearrange them in the bedroom or living room so it looks like your cramped, one-bedroom apartment is showing off just for you. I tend to gravitate towards scents that can instantly transport me to a more romantic location (think salt and sage for a beachy vibe, or rose and santal for a sweet, garden picnic). You can also light incense (my faves are African Jasmine or Sandalwood) to create a hazy oasis with smoke hanging in the air like an intimate lounge. Remember, you’re setting the mood for you and no one else, so pick fragrances that make you feel a little somethin’-somethin’.
Last, but certainly not least, bring on the crystals. I’m not very intense about mine (I don’t charge them in the moonlight like many of my fellow Venice neighbors do), but I do try to keep one crystal in each room to pump up my energy: try sparkly gold pyrite in the living room to remind you that you are GOLDEN, and sensual, pink quartz in the bedroom to keep in touch with your inner femininity (there are lots of quartz towers that are definitely phallic, if that’s your vibe).
“Pour It Up, Pour It Up” - Rihanna
Onto my favorite part of the evening: let’s get the juices flowing. Nothing makes me feel more like an all-powerful queen than a big-ass glass of full-bodied Pinot, but I salute whatever your beverage of choice may be. Maybe you’re a whiskey gal, and you keep a stunning, crystal whiskey decanter on your highly curated bar cart for special occasions. It’s time to whip that baby out. Maybe you said bye-bye to alcohol long ago, so you mix up a sexy little Lemon-Pineapple-Kiwi Sparkling Mocktail instead. Whatever your taste buds are calling for, raise a glass, and make a cute toast to YOU: for taking the time to honor and celebrate yourself, for knowing your worth, and for always unapologetically putting yourself first.
Have Some Steamy Content on Deck
Newsflash: women watch porn too, and that is not only normal as hell, but productive for your sex life overall (solo, or with a partner)! There’s no better time to learn exactly what you like and what kinks you’re into than your solo date night, which just wouldn’t be complete without a little visual and/or audio stimulation, tbh (and before you ask, no, a Fifty Shades of Grey marathon doesn't count). Admittedly, lots of porn can feel really intimidating if you’re new to the genre, and there are some intense videos that aren’t enjoyable for everyone (I’m definitely good without super aggressive BDSM). But women are quickly getting some much-needed skin in the game and have created female-focused, safe spaces that offer more authentic content from regular people, as opposed to porn stars and production companies.
Try Make Love Not Porn, which sources real videos from real couples and individuals, or check out Lust Cinema, which highlights videos directed by women that portray intimacy, love, and lust in a respectful way. However, if you’re like me and feel a little shier when it comes to porn, that’s ok too! You can always track down a film or TV show with some sex scenes that will make you blush (think Outlander on Starz, Blue Valentine, or Black Swan), or try storytime with Dipsea, which exists to help sexually arouse women. Either way, this is your time to pick your fantasy, get comfy with your bad self, and...
Get Ready For the Big Finale
It’s your special night, and after all of the little pleasures and treats you’ve lined up for yourself, it’s time for the Big O. Whether you’re new to self-pleasure or you’ve been doing it since you realized you could create “tingles” down there when you were 11, there is no wrong way to love on yourself. Some women prefer the au naturale method, while others are insanely attached to their vibrators. Personally, I’m dying to try out this Full-Service Oral Sex Simulator, which, exactly as the name suggests, is supposed to feel like oral.
Regardless of your method, the truth is that you deserve pleasure often, and there is absolutely no shame in that. Even if you do have a partner, it’s crucial that you continue serving up a little self-love so that you can better express exactly what you like. There is nothing embarrassing about “flicking the bean” (as my high school friends call it); it’s a natural part of maintaining a healthy sex life, and the perfect way to end your epic night. So relax, and let it all go; you earned it.
Just like that, you have all the tips you need to plan the best. date night. ever. We spend so much of our lives giving our time and energy to others, so really take advantage of this opportunity to be a little selfish and to give time and energy back to yourself! Have fun, get creative, and remember: you are not only empowered, but entitled to meaningful self-love and self-care, beyond face masks and manicures. Now get out there, grab hold of your inner Lizzo, and go love yo-self.
Our Fave WOC To be Following Right Now
As a brand that is built on the pure foundation that all bodies are equal of love and respect no matter what color or size, we feel strongly that we use our platform to educate, celebrate, and represent all women. We are sharing some of our favorite women of color...Read More
As a brand that is built on the pure foundation that all bodies are equal of love and respect no matter what color or size, we feel strongly that we use our platform to educate, celebrate, and represent all women.
We are sharing some of our favorite women of color founded brands, and other inspiring and powerful women of color you should be following on social.
WOC Founded Brands:
WOC You Should Be Following:
As we continue business onward, the representation, support, and change will not be left behind. We hope you’ll continue to share with us on social resources, education, brands, and voices to be seen and heard for us to share with our community and for us to continue to learn and grow as a brand.
We are looking forward to growing our colorful community and diversifying our content even more. Our community is what makes this brand SO powerful and special. We hope that 2020 brings the change and growth we so very much need.
Ten Tips For Curating A Nightly Ritual
There is nothing better than winding down after a long day. Getting into bed is hands down my favorite part of any day. It is a treat and a half. For years, I put off going to bed because going to bed meant it was going to be tomorrow and...Read More
There is nothing better than winding down after a long day. Getting into bed is hands down my favorite part of any day. It is a treat and a half. For years, I put off going to bed because going to bed meant it was going to be tomorrow and that made me anxious. I was fatigued, irritable and had cheap bags under my eyes. I consciously made the decision to curate a nightly ritual that has changed my life and I want to share it with you. Trial and error. Rest is required and thanking your body for working so goddamn hard is the magic potion for a grateful morning. You can’t have one without the other. Ying and Yang.
As much as I would love to take a candle lit, aromatherapy bath every night, I ain’t got no time for that. If you do, that is fantastic and you should 1000% gift yourself that luxury for as long as you possibly can. Praise.
- Cut off the alcohol and sugar at 7pm. Do you have a hard time sleeping through the night? Wake up at 3am regularly? It is likely your liver is waking you up. Your liver could be waking you up for a couple reasons. Emotionally, the liver represents anger, frustration and resentment. Physically, sugar shoots up your insulin levels, which makes your liver work harder to eliminate the excess amount of chemicals sugar produces.
- Mindful consumption. Think about when you feel the most at ease, the most calm. I could care less if that means reading, watching true crime, meditating or knitting a sweater. Do this for 5, 10 or 15 minutes before you physically get into bed.
- Cannabidoil (CBD), sleep vitamins, hot tea and essential oils. Do your research. We have unlimited access to information. Research shows that CBD is useful in easing the symptoms of a number of conditions, including; anxiety, depression, chronic pain, inflammation and sleep. Swap out that glass of wine for a CBD sleep cocktail. HOT TIP. Drink it from a wine glass for placebo effect. CBD cocktail recipe: 1 cup tart cherry juice (natural melatonin), 1 cup white grape juice, 1/2 dropper valerian root tincture (used historically to promote sleep), and your preferred dose of CBD. For a healthy sleep cycle, try Olly Sleep Vitamins. They are infused with Melatonin, L-Theanine and Blackberry Botanicals. Delicious. If you prefer tea, Traditional Medicinals Nighty Night Herbal Tea is a dream. Finally, essential oils. There are countless options on the market. Make sure you are reading your labels. Grove Collaborative is 100% organic and naturally fragrant. Order yourself some of the Calming Lavender and give yourself a gentle foot massage. Thank me later.
Sometimes, you have to redefine things. For me, that means the bedroom is for the two S’s and that is all there is to it. Sleep and sex. This keeps the bedroom a dedicated, sacred place.
- Tuck your phone in for a good nights sleep. Cute, right? Discipline is healthy. I heard about this hack and adopted it immediately. Visualize your phone as something you want to nurture and protect. Just as you’d tuck your children, your pet or your spouse or yourself into bed, do the same for your phone. Put it away for the night and let it rest.
- Invest in an alarm clock. Not only does this avoid picking up your phone after tucking it in because you forget to set your alarm, but it also alleviates the anxiety of grabbing your phone first thing in the morning to shut off your alarm. Win, win.
Finally. Let’s get to the fun stuff. We are superheroes. We deserve the best of the best. If you are going to indulge, this is the place. Join me on down the road less traveled.
- You need a silk a pillow case, you just do. Benefits? A cleaner sleep surface, less drying, friction and irritation on skin and hair. Not to mention because silk is more gentle on the skin, if you are acne prone, this can be a face-changer. Did I mention wrinkle prevention?
- Light is the silent sleep killer. LUNYA has a naturally moisturizing, silk, washable sleep mask that (get this) doubles as a headband for your nightly face regiment. Don’t let neighbor Nurse Nancy’s beaming headlights shine through your window at 2am abruptly waking you. We appreciate all that you do Nancy. I just can't helo myself.
- Your entire body deserves the benefits of silk. LUNYA also has the most comfortable sleepwear on the market. It is luxurious and you will feel like a goddess.
- Open another tab on your nifty computer and go to Amazon.com. Type in Marpac Dohm Basic White Noise Sound Machine. Click add to cart. Complete purchase. White noise creates a masking effect, blocking out those sudden changes that frustrate light sleepers, or people trying to fall asleep.
- Ever heard of Acupressure? It helps stimulate circulation and relieves stress. I feel more relaxed just typing it. You can’t go wrong with the ProSource Acupressure Mat Pillow Set. It is only $20 and comes in 7 different colors.
Staying In 101
In the spirit of staying in, staying safe, and being smart during this worldwide pandemic, we wanted to share some things we’re doing to keep busy safely indoors (mostly on the sofa). There are plenty of shows on Netflix for endless bingeing and plenty of influencers on Instagram for effortless...Read More
In the spirit of staying in, staying safe, and being smart during this worldwide pandemic, we wanted to share some things we’re doing to keep busy safely indoors (mostly on the sofa).
There are plenty of shows on Netflix for endless bingeing and plenty of influencers on Instagram for effortless scrolling, but even we got bored with that. We’ve also run out of banana bread ingredients and instant coffee for our caffeinated, creamy delight that’s currently trending. With no more cabinets and drawers to organize and reorganize on repeat, we are sitting down and drawing up a list of other time fillers and mood boosters.
What we’re listening to (Playlists): Staying home in silence is basically a crime.
- WFH Babe Spotify Playlist - We put this playlist together for all of our babes working from home right now. It’s a compilation of some of BB’s favorite office tunes - songs you can have on in the background while still getting work done, guaranteed to keep you motivated all day long.
- YEAH Girl Spotify Playlist - This one is for those 30 minutes of your day that you are dedicating to motion. Whether that’s a virtual at-home workout, TikTok choreography practice, or a living room dance party… get up and move your bootay to these beats.
What we’re listening to (Podcasts): True crime isn’t going to solve itself.
For the wanna-be detective:
For the motivation seeker:
What we’re reading: Obviously we’ve joined 12 virtual book clubs because why not.
- Little Fires Everywhere
- When Life Gives You Lululemons
- Where The Crawdads Sing
- The Glass Hotel
- City of Girls
What we’re writing: The 411 on quarantine diary entries.
- Snail Mail - Handwritten cards to your family + friends double as an activity for you and an unexpected pick-me-up for them :)
- Weekend To-Do Lists - Hold yourself accountable to getting things done around the house on your off days. Reward yourself with streaming hours for every item checked off!
- Post-Quarantine Activity Listicle - Sunday brunches. Weekday HH’s. GNO’s. Travel. Things to look forward to!
What facemasks we’re using: In between Zoom calls self-care.
- The Ordinary Peeling Solution - The $7 holy grail.
- Peter Thomas Roth Rose Stemcell Mask - This one goes on clear so you can mask + Zoom without anyone knowing ;)
- Farmacy Coconut Sheet Mask - Pro tip: keep them in the refrigerator!
- Wander Beauty Baggage Claim Eye Mask - We’ve all got baggage let’s be real.
- Patchology Hydrating Lip Gels - For buttery soft lips finish with Summer Friday’s new Lip Butter Balm!
What DIY projects we’re doing: Research shows that Pinterest is seeing an all time high in page views.
- Tie Dye - Put your art skills to the test with these two inexpensive products: Hanes Sweatshirt + RIT Dye. We’re living for the white/sand combo. You can also grab a colored shirt and use bleach for a reverse dye affect! Both equally effective and trendy.
- All-Purpose Cleaner - Since cleaning supplies are hard to find these days, we’re making our own that is just as effective and not nearly as toxic! Pro tip: add your fave essential oil(s) to scent!
- Paint + Sip @ Home (Party of 1) - We’re no Picasso BUT this just gives us an activity to pair with the bottle of wine we’ve been drinking every night.
This is also a great time to rediscover a passion that maybe has been pushed aside because we don’t have the time for it. Well, there’s no time like all of this time we currently have at home to bring back that old hobby. Point being here: find something to occupy your time that makes you feel good.
We hope you find this helpful and useful while trying new things and keeping busy during this uncertain time. Be sure to tag us on social if you’re trying any of the above and also share with us things you’re doing that we may have not tried yet!
Stay safe + be well! xx
Spring Cleaning (more than just your wardrobe)
It's that time of year... yes, the time where I color coordinate 1/3 of my closet and spray everything in the house with Febreeze and call it 'Spring Cleaning'. That's how it's done, right? Ok, maybe not... but who came up with 'Spring Cleaning' anyways? Why isn't there a 'Fall'...Read More
It's that time of year... yes, the time where I color coordinate 1/3 of my closet and spray everything in the house with Febreeze and call it 'Spring Cleaning'. That's how it's done, right? Ok, maybe not... but who came up with 'Spring Cleaning' anyways? Why isn't there a 'Fall' or 'Winter Cleaning'? Even though I'm unsure who created such an event or why they did it, I feel succumbed to participate every year. That being said, this year I decided to approach it with a wider view.
- Social Media
- Inner Circle
Looking at my collection of tops, why am I still holding on to the ones I know I will never wear? I've put together a section in my closet of items I haven't worn in the past 2 months that I am convincing myself I just 'forgot I had'. Now that they are in a very visible spot, those (if not all) that I do not pull out to wear in the next month will be voted off the island and forced to leave, immediately. In other words, donated to my friends or women in need. Buh-bye.
Things I am holding on to (most likely forever due to my attachment issues), are pieces I consider 'key' as they can be dressed up or down, transitioned to day or night... versatile AF.
These items include:
Plain white + black tees
Solid or striped bodysuits (various sleeve lengths)
Drink more water (easier said than done). Striving to have a full glass right when I wake up and wither every meal/snack throughout the day!
Add greens. Whenever given the option to add greens, take it! This could be an extra side with dinner, thrown into your morning omelet, or even added to a midday smoothie! You can never have too many greens.
Eat something every 2-3 hours. I don't know about you but I have what seems like the worlds slowest metabolism. Eating something (even small) every few hours keeps that baby in motion. Pro tip: Set reminders on your phone!
No late-night snacking. Really trying to cut off any and all food after 7 PM. I think I have a solve for this... asleep by 8?
Fresh air. Not a runner and don't have a bike? The outdoors are for walkers too. Try and take at least 2, 30 minute walks each day (weather permitting). You don't even have to walk! Find an isolated bench to sit on and listen to your favorite podcast or playlist, or if you choose to, opt-in to listening to your surroundings and your mind.
Meditate. I never really got into meditating because my patience does not allow for such a thing. However, I found a work around. I've been reading a daily meditation every morning with my coffee and it's really been a great addition to my daily routine. Check out my favorite here.
Move. It is so important for you to move your body at least once a day in a way that you don't in your usual routine. If you choose to exercise (indoor or outdoor) go for it! You go glen coco! If you choose to blast a feel-good playlist (check out ours here) and dance like nobody's watching in your living room, I applaud you. If you choose to spend hours learning choreography for the hottest new TikTok, I won't judge you. Because this is me. Everyone's doing it, ok?
- Practice your passion. You may have many passions, and I sure do hope that for you. But what is one of your passions that you can practice every day? For example, I am passionate about art. I try to dedicate time a few days a week to practice this. Whether it be an hour to draw in my sketchbook after work, a new portrait to paint over the weekend. Find your passion, and practice it wholeheartedly.
Career Profile: Lauren Steinberg
Lauren Steinberg embodies everything her brand, Queen V, truly is. She is literally the Queen of the V, bringing empowering and playful products to the feminine care space. It’s about time feminine care is made to be not so embarrassing. Why was it ever? I don’t think any of us...Read More
Lauren Steinberg embodies everything her brand, Queen V, truly is. She is literally the Queen of the V, bringing empowering and playful products to the feminine care space.
It’s about time feminine care is made to be not so embarrassing. Why was it ever? I don’t think any of us can explain it, but we can all say we, or someone we know, has been embarrassed at one point in time checking out with nothing more than a box of tampons at Target.
Through their fun and flirty products, QueenV is making feminine care anything BUT embarrassing, maybe we’d go as far to even say ‘cool’. Lauren not only created a top-selling product, but started a much-needed movement in the feminine care space. How did she do it? Why did she do it? We have SO many questions.
What inspired you to create the first millennial-focused feminine wellness brand?
As I grew older I began to develop infections “down there,” what I refer to as my Queen V. It was scary and painful and also really embarrassing. I didn’t know why I was getting these infections. I went to my gynecologist and I did a ton of research and learned just how complex a vagina is. I learned about pH levels and studied and researched the ingredients that are in most feminine wellness products and discovered why I was getting these infections. I also spoke to my friends about the problems I was having and realized that I wasn’t alone.
3 in every 4 women will get a yeast infection at least once in their life and 25% of infections that women get are UTIs. This was astounding to me. I began looking for products that had better for me ingredients, products that were easy to use, affordable and effective and I couldn't find anything that fit my needs. I was determined to change this not only because I realized that women shouldn’t be afraid to talk about their vaginas but also because I know that when I feel good inside, I feel like I can take on the world. And I knew that if I wasn’t feeling good on the inside, other women probably weren’t as well. I wanted to change that. I became frustrated and decided to take matters into my own hands. This is when Queen V really began.
Our products are made for women by women and take a really unique approach to vaginal health. We have created an easy to follow three-step process that helps women maintain, heal and enjoy their v. Maintaining your v is all about keeping your vagina clean and healthy by using products that are pH-balanced. Healing your v addresses infections and problems that can arise like yeast infections and UTI’s. Enjoying your v aims to help women love and embrace their vaginas. Each of our 11 products fit into one of these color-coded categories. Maintain products are blue, heal products are green and enjoy products are pink.
In addition to creating better-for-you products, Queen V aims to empower women to take control of what they are putting into and on their bodies. It is so important to take the time to read what ingredients are in a product and to understand the why behind them. Through our social media channels, we make it a priority to make learning about your body as fun and engaging as possible. Queen V has cultivated a community of empowered women and we aim to destigmatize the word vagina. Because all of our products are available at Walmart and are price comparable with every other product on the shelf, every woman has access to these products. Our products have loud and bright packaging because they are not meant to hide on a shelf, but rather to stand out! Women should not be embarrassed to buy vaginal products. Queen V really is a high-end brand at an affordable price!
Let’s go back to the beginning. How did it all happen? How has the company evolved over time?
Getting a retailer to believe in your brand and really understand and see the vision for your brand’s voice is critically important. Walmart taking a chance on me and giving Queen V a brand statement with 11 products has made the company what it is today. Andy Dunn who is the former CEO of Bonobos (which was acquired by Walmart) saw the deck for Queen V and knew it needed to be at Walmart. He introduced me to the buyers there and I told my story and they listened. We are now sold pretty much everywhere in mass market (Target, CVS, Rite Aid) and we just launched internationally in South Korea and in Australia with Sephora!
If you started Queen V today, would you do anything different?
My journey with Queen V has been so crazy and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Not knowing has been a really fun part of running a business. I wish I had taken a few business classes in college but other than that I am actually really happy that I was able to experience everything and react to it in a way unique to me. There have been a lot of failures, but I learn from each and every one of them.
What were some of your biggest challenges in the early stages of the company? Compared to today?
Being a 26-year-old female in an industry typically dominated by men has been and still is a challenge. Whenever I pitch this brand, getting male retailers and male investors to understand the need for these products can be difficult. Talking about my vagina and vaginal infections was a bit embarrassing at first, but I now encourage women to be empowered to speak about their vaginas. At one point, I was even told that I was “just a girl.” Instead of letting this comment get to me, I have owned it. It’s true! I really am just a girl who became frustrated with vaginal products on the market and did something about it.
How did you build your team? What were some key qualities you were looking for when hiring?
I looked for a qualified team of smart individuals who are experts in their own field who were passionate about women's health. Team work really does make the dream work. I surround myself with people who have different strengths than myself and learn from them. From operations and logistics, to social media and product development, I am always leaning on those around me. I am lucky because my team is made up of all millennial women so I have a focus group right in front of me! I use this to my advantage.
Do you ever find yourself suffering from ‘imposter syndrome’?
Self-doubt is totally normal but I never let it stop me from doing anything or from taking risks. The topic of vaginas and vaginal health has historically been a very taboo subject and I am using my platform to talk openly and freely about “private parts.” What I have learned is that in order to run a successful business I need to be unapologetically myself and use my voice for those who may be afraid to use their own voices. Queen V is changing the conversation around health and wellness. Females feel empowered now more than ever and this allows us to harness that power and be heard. The availability of feminine hygiene products 10 years ago was 1-2 options if you were lucky. Today, women have options and that is so important.
How has your position in the company changed from then to now? What does your typical day look like?
When I launched Queen V I had a really small team and I did basically everything. I was a huge micromanager and liked to be involved in everything from operations to sourcing to logistics to content creation. Now that we have grown larger, I manage a team of eight incredible women. My duties vary but mostly include product development, press, strategy, retailer relations and continuing to be the heart and soul of Queen V. I usually get into the office at 9am, tackle my inbox, meet with the team, film content, having some more meetings and then go home!
We're talkin' Sexual Health + Wellness
Women’s sexual health impacts every part of a woman’s life. It has a direct effect on our overall health and wellness, and directly contributes to self-love and confidence. It aids in shaping how we view and enjoy intimacy, affecting our relationships and families. How ‘sexual health’ is defined varies as...Read More
Women’s sexual health impacts every part of a woman’s life. It has a direct effect on our overall health and wellness, and directly contributes to self-love and confidence. It aids in shaping how we view and enjoy intimacy, affecting our relationships and families. How ‘sexual health’ is defined varies as each culture, sub-culture, and individual has different standards. We believe it to be: to embrace and enjoy our sexuality throughout our lives as it is crucial to our physical, emotional, and mental health.
Women should never feel ashamed of their sexuality, and you should always have somewhere to turn when you have questions. Today, we’re sitting down with Keelyn Cazzolla, a Sexual Health and Wellness Educator who is answering our questions and giving us a positive perspective on sexual health.
*Keelyn is a sexual health educator, NOT a doctor. Please always consult your doctor with any concerns you may have.
What foods are good for sexual health?
Having a well-balanced and nutrient-rich diet is extremely beneficial for all aspects of your health. Foods that improve functions such as circulation, hormone balance, energy, hydration, boost endorphins and serotonin are great to incorporate into your diet for sexual health benefits. A few examples of these foods include avocados, watermelon, almonds, dark chocolate, eggs, and peaches. More importantly, you should avoid (or reduce) foods that may be detrimental to your sexual health, or overall health in general. These foods include anything processed, cheese, high amounts of sugar, canned soups/meals, microwave popcorn, low grade meats, soy, spicy foods, and foods high in trans fat. Alcohol (especially beer), soda (especially diet), and marijuana have also been linked to being detrimental to sexual health and sexual performance as well.
- Myth: Pineapples can make your vulva smell and taste sweeter. Yes and no. Your diet does impact your smell and taste, but not just from pineapples alone. Basically, you are what you eat though! If you eat a lot of sweet fruits or foods with high sugar content, your bodily fluids may smell and taste a bit sweeter. This isn’t instant though, this is done through a consistent diet. If you are eating more pungent or bitter foods such as broccoli, garlic, coffee, alcohol, etc, then you are more likely to be on the bitter side. Don’t let this scare you away from bitter foods though!
What are some top initiatives you can take to increase your sex drive?
There are many things that can influence your sex drive, such as your diet, mental health, and physical health. Targeting these areas would be your best bet at increasing your sex drive. The top initiatives I would suggest are to make scheduled sex dates with yourself AND with your partner, as well as to increase sensuality without expectations, and make sure you are providing your body with proper nutrients (without restricting yourself!!). Some partnered ideas could be back rubs, intimate massages, tickling, hugging, synchronized breathing, or even just holding each other while naked. Sexting is another great way to engage in foreplay with your partner before a sex date. It also helps to communicate what you like and what turns you both on. If these don’t help or you are looking for more alternatives, consult with a sexual health professional or sex therapist! It’s their job to help you navigate through it!
- Myth: Engaging in sexual activities must always end with an orgasm. Nope! You and/or your partner are not required to have an orgasm. In fact, it can help your sex life by taking that goal oriented thinking out of the equation. Focus solely on the pleasure your body feels with your partner or by yourself!
What are some lubricant substitutes? What lubricants are NOT safe?
Let's start with what is not safe to use. First thing I need to mention is that spit is NOT a lubricant or lubricant substitute. It can transmit infections and STD’s into your vagina, just as unprotected oral sex can and it is not slippery enough to be an effective lubricant. Other noteworthy and unsafe lubricant substitutes are baby oil, refined oils, shortening, petroleum jelly, lotion, and pure essential oils.
For lubricants in general, I always recommend a good quality water-based lubricant. Pure Romance, Good Clean Love, and uberlube are a few of my go-to sources when helping to figure out what lubricant would be best. When using lubricants, it's always good to keep in mind NOT to use a silicone toy with a silicone based lubricant! Silicone breaks down silicone, which will not be a fun experience! As for substitutes, I have found mixed opinions on what to advise, I’ve done some research on coconut oil and aloe vera, but have yet to find hard evidence to advocate on their behalf.
- Myth: You don’t need a lubricant because you produce enough naturally. Even if you think you produce enough lubrication to be Niagara Falls, you should make sure you have a good quality lubricant! Lubricants help prevent vaginal micro tears and friction burns! If your partner has a penis, they are extremely porous and will absorb your natural lubrication and contribute to these burns and tears. You may not feel them when they occur, but trust me when I say “get a good lube” and use it!
Is vaginal discharge normal?
Absolutely! Vaginas are self cleaning (how cool) so discharge is expelled during this process. Discharge varies in color, consistency, and odor depending on where you are at in your menstrual cycle. Even if your discharge looks slightly different from week to week or even month to month, it doesn't always mean you have an STI or infection. Keeping an eye on what is normal for your body is important for indicating when you should consult a doctor if something has changed. There are a number of reasons your discharge could change, such as antibiotics, STI’s, birth control pills, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), douching, scented soaps, bubble baths, yeast infections, and so much more. If you are ever worried about your discharge or experience itching or discomfort, please consult your OB/GYN, they are here to help!
- Myth: Douching is a healthy way to clean the vagina. Vaginas are self cleaning!! Please do not douche. Ever. You should only be cleaning your vulva (gently) with an unscented, mild cleanser (preferable ph balanced if possible). Avoid anything scented near your vulva or in your vagina. Fragrances are a harmful irritant and can cause infections. Also worth noting: douching does not prevent STI’s or pregnancy. In fact, it can actually make it easier for you to become pregnant as it pushes the semen further up towards the cervix.
Are hormone replacements bad for women?
If you are considering hormone replacement therapy (HRT), please consult your doctor first so you can discuss the benefits and risks. For a majority of women, the benefits are considered worth it as the benefits outweigh the risks and improve quality of life. Follow up with your doctor annually if you chose to do HRT. If you are looking for an alternative to HRT, discuss that with them as well and come prepared with a list of questions and symptoms you are concerned about. When it comes to your health, it's best to be prepared and pay attention to what your body needs and is trying to tell you!
- Myth: Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) increases the risk of cancer. This myth is based on one study from years ago, but has been debunked many times since then and have even found flaws in that research. While it may increase the risk of certain cancers, the risk is minimal and only applies to a tiny portion of the population.
What are the necessary feminine-care checkups in addition to your annual exam? Always make sure you are doing your own self exams of your breasts and your vulva. It's important to know how they both look and feel to make it easier to report any changes to your doctor. For self breast exams, look at your breasts in the mirror to check for any visual changes such as shape and/or swelling. Also use the pads of your three middle fingers to feel your breast and apply different levels of pressure. There are three ways to do this: circular, vertical, and wedge. Remember to check your underarms and upper chest as well. For a self vulva exam, use a handheld mirror to make sure you can see your genitals clearly. Check your pubic area, clitoris, labia majora (outer lips), labia minora (inner lips), and perineum (area located between vagina and anus). Check for anything abnormal, such as growths, bumps, rashes, lesions, white bumps, red bumps, pimple like growths, etc. Report anything abnormal to your doctor, even if it seems small! Vulvar cancer is one of the most unknown, but easily treatable if detected early!
Commonly asked Q’s about Pap tests:
- Do you have to see a gyno?
- Some primary care physicians perform pap tests, but typically they are done by a gynecologist.
- Avoid sex, douching, spermicidal foam/creams, and any vaginal medicines for at least 2 days before the test. Body hair is completely natural and normal, no need to worry about that before your appointment. Also, avoid scheduling during your menstrual period! Call your doctor before going to your appointment if you end up having your period the day of your exam. Sometimes menstruation can obscure the results of the exam.
- The test only takes a few minutes. You will lie on your back on the exam table, then your doctor will gently insert the speculum so they can observe the cervix. Your doctor will take samples of your cervix with a soft brush and a flat spatula. Afterwards, you are free to go about your day!
- Everyone is different, but you may feel pressure and discomfort in the pelvic area during the test. Good news is that it's super quick!
- Each doctor varies, but around 1 week is average.
- Don’t stress if you have abnormal cells from a pap smear! Your doctor will have you schedule a colposcopy to examine the tissues of the cervix, vagina, and vulva and to also obtain a biopsy of the areas that appear abnormal. This tissue will be sent out for analysis and diagnosis!
What are some of the top myths about women’s sexual health?
- A pap smear tests for cervical cancer and changes in the cells within the cervix, it does not test for STI’s or STD’s specifically. Talk to your doctor if you wish to have an STI/STD screening.
- There is absolutely nothing wrong or bad about getting tested! In fact, it's totally normal. Even if your test comes back positive for something, it does not mean you are “gross” or “dirty” or “unworthy” AT ALL. There are still a lot of stigma and myths that revolve around STIs/STDs. It is much better to know if you are positive for something than to unknowingly spread it or to leave it untreated and begin to impact your health. Discuss a treatment or management plan with your doctor. Leaving it untreated can sometimes lead to issues such as infertility or cancer. If having a positive STI diagnosis is causing distress in your life, please consult a therapist, specifically a sex therapist if you can. They are trained in helping you learn to cope and life a healthy, normal life even with a positive diagnosis. You are not alone and it does not mean you are unworthy of love or a normal sex life!
- 70% of women need clitoral stimulation in order to orgasm. Roughly about 30% of women are able to reach an orgasm through vaginal penetration alone.
- While it is more unlikely during this part of your cycle to become pregnant, that does not mean you are unable to. Sperm can live up to 72 hours in your reproductive tract.
- This is not the same as the pill that causes an abortion. Actually, if you were to take Plan B while you are already pregnant, it won't make a difference. Plan B pills work similar to birth control pills, but have a higher hormone content. There is no limit on how often you consume the morning after pill, just as long as you follow the directions, you’re good to go!
- The vagina is a muscle and works similar to an elastic band, meaning it has the ability to expand and contract. When you become aroused, your vagina begins to soften and expand in order to make penetration easier. If not, the walls of the vagina will stay contracted and make penetration more difficult. It does not matter who (or what - think vibrators and dildos) you have sex with, or how often. Penetration will not cause your vagina to stretch permanently, but childbirth or age, however, can cause changes.
Our Fave Motivational Books + Podcasts
Whether you are initiating your never ending journey into personal growth or simply lacking motivation, the resources are endless. Overwhelming in fact. For those of you who are just starting out, I want to help guide you down the path that leads to results. This journey is an exciting one...Read More
Let’s get to the good-good.
Top 2 foundational books:
The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
Top 2 dive deeper books:
What To Say When You Talk To Yourself by Dr. Shad Helmstetter
The Daily Stoic by Ryan Holiday
Top 2 books for the career focused:
Think And Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
Unfu*k Yourself by Gary John Bishop
Top 2 relationship books:
Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed
The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman
Top 2 self-help books for the curious who cringe at self-help:
You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero
Get Your Sh*t Together by Sarah Knight
And for the non-readers - me. No fear, these are all available on Audible. I am not a reader by nature. I have to re-read sentences, paragraphs, pages and even chapters a couple of times to actually retain the information provided. This brings me to Podcasts. There are so many outstanding, value packed Podcasts out there that have become rituals in my world. 7/7 days a week, I turn on a Podcast while I get ready for the day to help set the tone. Even on my worst, least functioning days, they help.
Top 10 Motivational Podcasts in no particular order:
The Tim Ferriss Podcast
The Skinny Confidential Him and Her Podcast
Happier with Gretchen Rubin
The School of Greatness with Lewis Howes
Work Party with Jaclyn Johnson
Earn Your Happy with Lori Harder
How I Built This with Guy Raz
Help Me Be Me
Perfectionism Project with Sam Laura Brown
Career Profile: Jaclyn Johnson
Create + Cultivate is exactly as it sounds. A female-focused organization for women looking to create and cultivate the career of their dreams. With it’s online platform of social groups and digital mentors, and it’s offline conferences, summits, and pop-ups, Create + Cultivate is taking the ‘women in biz’ industry...Read More
Create + Cultivate is exactly as it sounds. A female-focused organization for women looking to create and cultivate the career of their dreams. With it’s online platform of social groups and digital mentors, and it’s offline conferences, summits, and pop-ups, Create + Cultivate is taking the ‘women in biz’ industry by storm.
We have loved getting to know Jaclyn Johnson - CEO of Create + Cultivate, Author of WorkParty, AND host of WorkParty Podcast - but we are still wondering… “How does she do it all?”. We’re sitting down with this self-made woman to hopefully get some answers…
If you could go back to the beginning, would you do anything differently? And if so, what?
Get it in writing! When I was starting off, I was so excited and I’d say “sounds great!” to everything that came my way. Trust me, you have to be able to go back and reference a contract and its terms. Really think about the long-run and what’s going to happen. It’s important to be smart and have those terms upfront. Make sure you’re protecting yourself.
How do you deal with the ebb and flow throughout the evolution of the brand?
There are always growing pains when scaling a business, but we have an amazing C&C community. Knowing that we’re providing them with the resources they need has been the biggest reward.
You are doing SO much and killing the entrepreneurial game. How do you stay inspired to keep going?
I think everyone has different definitions of what self-care is. I think, for me, self-care is very personal, in the sense that only you know what you need to be your best self. Whether that’s exercise, whether that’s eating healthy, whether that’s napping for 15 minutes, or binge-watching Netflix on a Saturday, all day… it’s what you need to be your best self; mentally, physically, and emotionally.
Have you always been aware of the need for self-care in your business plan? Was there ever a point you fell into workaholic tendencies and lost that? If so, how did you bring it back?
This is definitely something that I’ve worked on and have become more aware of over time. I definitely fall into workaholic tendencies and find myself having less and less time as my business grows, so for me, my form of self-care, oftentimes is sleeping eight hours. That’s a luxury for me. I always suggest putting your phone away at the end of the day, not having it in your bag. Or even something as simple as treating yourself to ice cream. Self-care, in my opinion, is a question of, “What makes you feel good?”
You are so lucky to surround yourself around other power-house women that are absolutely killing it! Do you ever find yourself comparing or suffering from ‘imposter syndrome’?
I talk about imposter syndrome in WorkParty and we’ve discussed it on our podcast. No one prepares you for imposter syndrome in business school, but the fear of personal failure is very real. I experienced it earlier in my career. The best way to deal with it is to remind yourself why you’re here and that you deserve to be here.
What are some of the key takeaways from influential women you’ve talked to on the WorkParty podcast?
Every modern working woman has her own strength in business, whether it be negotiating, or honing a pitch, or creating a killer tagline.
What does a typical day in the life of Jaclyn Johnson look like today and how has it evolved from where you started?
I get up early and like to be in the office before everyone else so I have some time to myself. Every day is different depending on what we’re currently working on, but I always make a to-do list. I'm a list maker and typically write my list once a day, crossing off items, and moving items over to the next day. After work, I enjoy spending time with my husband and disconnecting when I can. Entrepreneurship isn’t a 9-to-5 job, so I am usually answering emails at night, but I really love what I do so it’s worth it.
Holy shit. BootayBag is FOUR. Can you believe it? We can hardly. And DUH, we wouldn’t have made it to FOUR without you loyal AF babes! I started BootayBag on my apartment floor 4 years ago because SOMETHING had to be done. I just could no longer bring myself to...Read More
Holy shit. BootayBag is FOUR. Can you believe it? We can hardly. And DUH, we wouldn’t have made it to FOUR without you loyal AF babes!
So I figured, ‘Someone’s gotta do something about this’, little did I know it would be me. You know when you have that thought, ‘OMG, someone HAS to invent ‘x’ to solve for ‘y’’. It was exactly that thought. It was a real issue that needed solving, and I was the inventory. Plot twist: I had no idea what the hell I was doing. Even bigger plot twist: I still don’t. HOWEVER, I’ve learned a shit ton. So here it is:
1. Underwear should be affordable. Why did I have to wait for the VS Semi Annual Sale to get affordable cute + sexy undies? Real talk: I was not about to be checking out at Target with a pre-packaged 4 pack of semi-cotton Hanes…2. Comfort can be cute. Secrets revealed: When I got into buying wholesale underwear (before BB had our own label), my options were camel-toe-lace, or cotton. I couldn’t understand why those two styles couldn’t be one (minus the unwanted camel toe). When I started designing our label, I had one focus in mind: mixing comfort + cute.
3. You need more than basic black thongs in your underwear drawer. Listen, us basic babes need basic undies. BUTT* we also need those ‘feel good’ pairs.
4. ALL WOMEN are Angels. You can be any shape, size, color, you name it - you’re an ‘Angel’. Marketing campaigns used to only feature 2 women: 00 and plus size. Wait, what? What about the in between? Did you know our social feeds are primarily made up of user generated content? Yep, it’s real. It’s you. It’s me. It’s authentic.
5. Underwear is the most requested, LEAST donated item in women’s shelters. We were blown away by the demand for women’s underwear in shelters. Women need undies, and we’re doing our part to help with that in more ways than one (and encourage you to do the same!).
6. STOP listening to the noise. Ok, this last one has nothing to do with undies, but just a reminder that there is a lot of noise and BS in this world, especially on social media. Everyday I remind myself to stay true to the brand, our mission, our community, and bust out the best product + service for our babes, sans noise.
I am SO beyond proud of this brand, our small but mighty all-female team, and of our expansive women-run community that continues to amaze me with the support and love you ladies give. Yes, we read ALL the comments on social. Yes, we hear you. Even better - we’re listening. We are coming together and creating some really cool shit… so with that — Cheers to 4, to a new decade, and to all you lovely ladies rocking your BB undies. Thank you for allowing us at BB HQ to do what we love every damn day.
No Pants Blog
PUMP THE BREAKS. You’re probably wondering… “Wait whaaaat? BootayBag has a blog? Since when?” Well, Since 2020 ;) Welcome to the No Pants Blog, babe! That’s right, you heard it here first… pants are optional. Here’s the 411: We’re real women with real-life shit going on every damn day. We...Read More
PUMP THE BREAKS.
You’re probably wondering… “Wait whaaaat? BootayBag has a blog? Since when?”
Well, Since 2020 ;)
Welcome to the No Pants Blog, babe! That’s right, you heard it here first… pants are optional.
Here’s the 411: We’re real women with real-life shit going on every damn day. We are one-in-the-same, and we’re here to let you know you are not alone. We’re opening up the conversation to share that it’s all relatable. You’ve been there, we’ve been there. This blog is for you - a mix of light-hearted content, and a deep-dive into the real shit no one talks about.
So with that, we ask that you please ask the hard questions and submit topics of interest. Let’s try our best to get through this thing called life together. Please keep in mind we are by no means experts here, (pretty damn far from it) but we want to share and celebrate the good, and laugh at the ugly, together. Why go through life in the dark? We’re here to shine the light.
Here’s how it works: We want to hear from you! All of our content is going to be based off of submissions from our community. To start, we are going to be opening this up on our Instagram Stories, so keep your eyes peeled for your opportunity to chime in on the conversation! We mean it when we say, ask us anything. There is no limit on the discussion we can have together as women! We can’t wait to get to know ourselves, our community, and you, the best that we can through collaboration and conversation.
PS - Are you a writer? Educator? Entrepreneur? Or just a boss babe?? We are looking to bring on some collaborators and guest authors so keep your eyes peeled for a submission form coming soon!
Finding Your Why
I genuinely used to cringe when someone would ask me, "What is your purpose?" or "What are you passionate about?" Like, how TF do I figure that one out? Nothing like a loaded question from a total stranger sitting next to me on a long flight. I am passionate about...Read More
I genuinely used to cringe when someone would ask me, "What is your purpose?" or "What are you passionate about?" Like, how TF do I figure that one out? Nothing like a loaded question from a total stranger sitting next to me on a long flight. I am passionate about pizza. Does that mean I am supposed to tr(eat) pizza as my purpose? Now I am officially freaking out.
What am I doing when I feel my absolute favorite self?
How am I adding value to those around me?
What are my greatest strengths?
What is my mission statement?
How will I measure my life?
It is Sunday at 8pm and I am preparing for a kick ass week. I just finished up a face mask and turn on my humidifier. I crawl into bed with my planner and map out my week. FEELIN’ GOOD.Read More
It is Sunday at 8pm and I am preparing for a kick ass week.
I just finished up a face mask and turn on my humidifier. I crawl into bed with my planner and map out my week. FEELIN’ GOOD. I grab my phone, set the alarm for 6am and go HAM on the label because, when I see that in the morning, I will 1000% jolt out of bed with a pep in my step. Right?
"Beep! Beep! Beep!” I look at my phone and hit snooze to calm the abrupt sound and I remember what I did the night before. The label reads, “Good morning, gorgeous! Today is a shiny, new day! Don't you dare think about hitting snooze. You are capable and beautiful and smart, plus you promised you wouldn't hit snooze, so, you can't. The day is waiting for you! Let's seize it!”
Truth is, I am not a morning person by nature. There. I said it. But, I do believe that through trial and error, there is a successful way for each of us to start our day. What works for a pal or badass influencer you admire, may not work for you and that is completely ok. I have done my research on morning routines and have tried nearly everything I have read and listened to. Through that, I found what works for me and I feel it is important to share.
Really. Do not hit snooze. In the moment, it can feel incredible to imagine even 7 minutes more of beauty rest. However, the reality is, you will be more tired and more inclined to hit snooze for a second time. Monitor your habits. If you set your alarm for 5:45am, but hit snooze everyday until 6am, do yourself a favor and set your alarm for 6. You will genuinely gift yourself 15 extra minutes of your best sleep.
Make your bed. This small action may feel impossible as you are still waking up, but it is indeed small movement which allows the blood to start flowing. Making your bed is an immediate accomplishment and will leave you feeling less enticed to lay back down if you are dragging.
Natural Light and water. Let your entire body wake up at it’s own pace, yes, this includes your eyes. Make your way to the kitchen and begin opening curtains along the way. Let the natural light flow in and pour yourself a tall glass of water. We dehydrate over night and treating your parched, hard working vessel with H20 is the greatest gift you can give yourself. I promise myself I will finish my glass of water before I consume any coffee or tea.
Fresh air. While I finish my water, I step outside into my backyard for a quick, light stretch and a few deep breaths of morning air. You can accomplish this tiny task in all seasons by simply opening a window momentarily. Breathing in fresh air replenishes the body and cleans out the lungs.
Gratitudes. I could write and write and write on how gratitudes have set the tone for my day. Like attracts like, it is science. It is incredibly easy to get overwhelmed by the days to-do list, so do yourself this honor and acknowledge your gratitudes first. There are no rules about what you can be grateful be for, just mean it.
That is it. That is my morning routine. It takes me 10 minutes.
Listen up, I encourage you to try different things and see what works for you. If you don’t like the way it feels, don’t do it. I learned that less is more for me. I absolutely have a skin care routine, I drink my caffeine, I walk my dog, but adding every single thing I do in the morning to a list was overwhelming for me. I enjoy doing those extra things, but if I don’t get around to them in the morning, I don’t feel guilty for it. Figure out what works for you and commit.
We've all been there. No judgement zone. A casual happy hour marg turns into a 2 AM Grub Hub McDonalds delivery. SO. MUCH. FUN. Until you wake up. Tired AF, there is this fuzzy film feeling inside your mouth even though you are 50% confident you brushed your teeth....Read More
When is the last time you have seen any marketing promoting cigarettes? Long, long, long, long time ago. Alcohol companies do the same exact thing. Google any commercial promoting alcohol. Looks like the best damn time of your life. You look so hot, the drink is so refreshing and instagram worthy, obviously the hottest guy around wants, you guessed it, you. Glorious.
Trust me, I love a spicy marg and can easily enjoy a bottle of wine to myself, again, no judgement. Point is. Predictions are being made that soon we will see marketing exploring the health risks of alcohol. Being the go-to party friend might not be "cool" for much longer.
Listen, this read isn't intended for someone who has a real dependency on alcohol. The only way to drink alcohol with a dependency is to NOT. I am just going to jump up on my soapbox real quick to say (ahem) WE NEED TO BE TALKING ABOUT THIS. If you are feeling like you may have a dependency on alcohol, do not be ashamed. You are not alone. It is okay to ask for help. Your people will love and support you on your road to recovery.
Questions to ask yourself:
Am I honest when asked how many drinks I have per week? Yes, this includes when your doctor asks.
Do I hide my drinking from the people closest to me?
Do I wake up groggy or hungover multiple times a week? ...Every week?
How many times have you woke up worried about what you may have said the night before? How many times have you said yes to that third martini because everyone else did? How many times have you opened a bottle of wine at home with the intention of having a glass and accidentally downed the entire thing? Me too. Me too.
Let's get to it.
Mindful drinking step one. You need to have a plan. When asked what you'd like to drink, it is easy to word vomit your "go to" or the classic line "I'll have whatever she's having". Your plan consists of a.) you're non alcoholic drink of choice. I personally love a good ginger beer. b.) your reason. People are nosey, curious, interested, whatever word you want to use for all up in your business and they could ask, why aren't you drinking? Honesty is the best policy, but if you have an inkling that the person asking you is going to give you a hard time or poke fun, have a plan of how you will respond. This is your body and your decision. Anyone who teases you about making healthy life decisions is projecting and you should probably reevaluate if there is a real friendship there.
Mindful drinking step two. Sober experiences. Go to a dinner, a concert or a birthday and do not drink. If you have step one thought out, you are setting step two up for success. Having something in your hand to casually sip during the countless opportunities for awkward, silent yet extremely loud moments throughout an evening out just feels safe. Once you encounter this experience a couple of times, you will feel much less dependent on that glass and much more in control of the situation. Promise.
Mindful drinking step three. Although Dry January and Sober September are excellent times to kick off your mindful drinking journey, try to relate a diet to our current conversation. When you are on a diet, do you notice that for the first (eh) 30 days you think about food more than you ever have before? We call this one (drumroll please) a lifestyle adjustment. Call it what it is, the law of attraction. When you are focusing on the idea of never being able to drink again, you very well may taste that sweet sip of Sauv Blanc as it touches the lips of someone three tables away. We are not complicated. We are just extremely capable of desiring what we cannot have.
Let me elaborate. When I am on my death bed begging for my final meal, I will be demanding a bottle, maybe two (just in case) of red wine before I ask for my medium rare steak. I will enjoy champagne on fine occasions, I will consciously sip a tasty marg, I will drink a cider at Octoberfest. I will also wake up with a hangover many times over the course of the rest of my life. If I choose to. Mindful drinking is about a choice. This is not about quitting for life, unless that is the healthiest move for you, power on. This is about taking back the control back, setting new rules and redefining what part alcohol plays in your life.
Everything you are most fearful of missing out on, you will gain in other facets of your mindful life. Give it a go. What do you have to lose other than a hangover?
Home Decor On A Budget
Whether you want to turn your Dorm Room into the most Instagramable spot on Campus (AYE!) or you just spent all of your life savings on the cutest house that you now cannot afford to decorate. I’ve got you. Here are my top 5 tips to flip a room right...Read More
1.Fixtures. Now, I gotta be honest, I don’t know the Dorm rules on this. I know the saying “ask for forgiveness” is a real thing, but in this case, I do suggest asking first. Losing your deposit or all hope of your parents ever co-signing for you ever again is not worth a light fixture. In most cases, if you keep the original fixture, offer to replace it on your own and reinstall the old fixture upon moving out, you should have no issues. If the rules say NO, go thrifting for a floor lamp and utilize the fixture there instead! Fixtures can completely transform a room without breaking the bank. Visit Amazon or Wayfair for some of the grandest deals around.
2. Wall Art. Did you know it doesn’t have to cost a fortune? Etsy printables are where it’s at. Search digital printing and have yourself a hay day. Best part, most shops give you options. You can either have the design printed and sent to your door or order the art digitally and send it in yourself for printing. I have price comp’d this. if you have the time and have a tighter budget, I suggest getting the high resolution image printed yourself to save you a few bucks. Use those saved bucks and put them toward a bold frame.
3. Make it cozy. Little touches such as throw pillows, blankets and candles are inexpensive purchases that can make your space feel like home. Throw pillows can run you $50 a pop. My suggestion is to grab some old pillows and order covers that fit your style from Amazon. Best place to find quality blankets and candles without breaking the bank is TJ MAXX or Marshalls. Hot tip. Whenever I would call my mom in College or when I first moved out of state and told her I was homesick, she would send me candles that reminded me of home. Give it a try.
4. Organization and Storage. This is most important for small spaces. There are easy, inexpensive ways to keep your space clutter free. Do you have unused space under your bed? Empty drawers? Overhead closet space? Every inch can be maximized. Clothing racks are a trendy way to showcase your favorite items. End cap the rack with hats, use the bottom to store shoes and even hang jewelry.
5. The Stand Out. Before starting in on any new space, I want you to ask yourself this question. How do I want people to feel when they are in my home? Be mindful about every little thing you buy. What is the purpose? Does it fit the intention you’ve created for your space?
Five Healthy Recipes That Won't Break The Bank
We know how it goes. Conscious eating can be intimidating, especially if you are working with a budget. Comparing the cost of a Tostinos Frozen Pizza to 1 pound of Organic Chicken just pisses me off. I remember the first time I bit the bullet and went for the Chicken....Read More
Your body is a vessel. Let’s look at some easy, healthy, affordable recipes that’ll leave you looking forward to leftovers.
Before we dive into recipes, let’s talk about some kitchen staples that you may want to consider purchasing next time you are grocery shopping.
- Sunflower Oil. This is a great alternative to the expensive Olive Oil.
- Jar of minced Garlic.
- Salt and Pepper.
Again, Chicken is a tough place to start. A couple of these recipes call for chicken, but I selected these specific recipes because a good ol’ rotisserie chicken will do the trick.
1. Italian Sausage Scrambler.
2. Healthy Ramen.
3. No Guilt Pasta.
4. Taco Casserole.